advice please - expenses incurred between lettings of house

JJ47

Looking for advise please!
I had a tenant that did a runner in early jan 2015 owing a substantial amount of rent.
The property was left in a terrible state and cost me approx 3k to get right for the new tenants that moved in mid april.
I am wondering what can i claim for, if anything, in respect of this outlay.
The following are some of the costs, I wonder can someone tell me which ones i can deduct from my 2015 TAX liability?

Skip Hire
New Oven and Hob
New Blinds
New shower door
Replacement suite, mattresses, wardrobes lockers.
Misc items such as replacement radiator valves, toilet seats, fire grate, lightshades etc etc.
costs associated with visits to property - approx 20 visits at 50km return.

Thanks in advance!

Everything can be claimed for.

Wear and Tear
For the damaged items you threw out, in the 2015 tax returns write off any remaining amounts.
You claim 12.5% of the new furntiure and white goods.

Repairs can be written off, skip, shower door, blinds, valves, grate.

No work of your own can be written off. I've no clue about your visits, maybe you can claim the cost of the petrol. As 3K seems low to me I'm assuming you did most of the repair yourselves. Did you not use paint?

Thats some loss, €3K on doing it up for re-letting, owing substantial rent assuming approx min 3 months, another €3k.. €6k. Its not easy sailing being a LL. Were you registered with PRTB, and if so, is there and chance of recovering some of your losses,? Also, what steps will you take to ensure the same will not happen again ?.

Thanks for replies.

Most Repairs were done by a local handyman. House had been painted internally and externally in 2014 and thankfully only a few romms needed painting.

I am indeed registered with the prtb, but as we know they are useless.
I have now the property leased through a letting agent.

Everything can be claimed for.

Wear and Tear
For the damaged items you threw out, in the 2015 tax returns write off any remaining amounts.
You claim 12.5% of the new furntiure and white goods.

Repairs can be written off, skip, shower door, blinds, valves, grate.

No work of your own can be written off. I've no clue about your visits, maybe you can claim the cost of the petrol. As 3K seems low to me I'm assuming you did most of the repair yourselves. Did you not use paint?

just to clarify. the property was purchased in 2002 and wear and tear was deducted for original furniture over 8 years.
Are you saying i can now write off wear and tear for the new furniture for another 8 years?

Just to follow I would be curious about the other business expenses.

Mileage for visits
Mobile and IT expenses laptop printer etc.
postal

Any I am missing?

Any other business can reasonably and legitimately claim these why not a landlord

Being a landlord is not a business. There is case-law on this point, so we can rant/rail all we like to no avail. There are 'get-out' clauses, some along the lines of if you've no other source of income and are actively engaged in this (Mon-Fri 9-5) then you may get a 'get out'.

Legislation dictates what expenses can/cannot be claimed for. Mileage, mobile etc all are not allowed but generally are to a small-degree by some accountants. Ie not technically allowed, but going un-noticed.

Back