Advice on whether to claim or not?

animha

Hi, I would really appreciate your advice on the following:
I drove in to the back of another car, damaged front of my car and bumper of other.

I've just received a quote from garage saying it will cost €500 to fix bumper, bout €1000 to fix my own.

I have comprehensive insurance with Hibernian but no protection on my no claims discount. What should I do? Should I pay cash or claim? What's the deal with signing up for NCD protection mid-term? Any idea how much my policy would increase as a result of claiming? Would really appreciate any advice!

Hi, I would really appreciate your advice on the following:
I drove in to the back of another car, damaged front of my car and bumper of other.

I've just received a quote from garage saying it will cost €500 to fix bumper, bout €1000 to fix my own.

I have comprehensive insurance with Hibernian but no protection on my no claims discount. What should I do? Should I pay cash or claim? What's the deal with signing up for NCD protection mid-term? Any idea how much my policy would increase as a result of claiming? Would really appreciate any advice!

How many years NCB do you have? Do you have yours last quote from Hib, they will have listed what discount you get for your NCB, you can take it that it will go back up to at least that and work its way back down year after year. So you should be able to calculate how cost effective it is to pay up

So is it right in saying your bonus will go back to zero? If so you will loose a 50% bonus discount at the next renewal, 40% at the following renewal, 30% at the next............etc. Think if you do the maths it will ad up to 150%. So if you are paying less than €1000 it sounds worthwhile, anything over €1000 and it'll cost you. But don't forget to factor in your excess.

Definitely go with bonus protection, know it's sounds useless advise after the incident but you never know when the next incident might happen, hopefully never!!!

if the person in the car in front puts in a personal injuries claim then your insureance will know about the accident and your insurance will go up anyways next year

you cannot take our bonus protection AFTER the accident. its an insurance policy, so cover must be taken out before.

If your NCB goes back to zero, then there is no point in taking out the protection, until you have something to lose. If you are at ZERO and take it out, you are only protecting ZERO.

On another point, you must notify lest an injury claim be presented at a future date. One sugegstion, would be to let the claim go through the insurance company and assuming no claim is made before renewal date, you can reimburse the insurer and have NCB reinstated.

What should I do?
If it were me I'd put it all through the Insurance. What if you pay out 1500 and have another tip next week? How much is your insurance to begin with? Is keeping your NCB really worth 1500? Claim.

Hib are a JOKE!!!!
firstly i was told to go ahead and get my car fixed then a few days later i was told it was a write off after me booking it in to get repaired. Eventually agreed a price and then they send me out a chq with the wrong amount. So if you are making a claim make sure you get everything in writing

it is more serious than a 'joke' and all insurers strive to give good service. If you are not happy, you should write to complain. complaints must be investigated and dealt with.

It is not good enough for Hibernian to tell you to get car repaired, then write it off, then agree figures and send out the incorrect amount. If all this happened, then they need to investigate to put their house in order and to ensure that it does not happen again.

i think i'd get a second quote for the repairs. I had to replace my bumper last year. and get it sprayed and it ony cost 250. Ok there may be damage behind the bumper but €250 worth. Get a second quote.

'howareya' can you tell me where you had your bumper replaced...I'm being quoted a huge amount for a similar job.

Thanks in advance

Back