Advice on tiling entire ground floor of House

Same here, in the process of tiling hall, kitchen, dining & utility room. Almost decided on polished porcelain (chinese porcelain - way cheaper than the spanish or italian stuff), and tiling itself is about €20 for a sq yard. (Is that normal?).

No underfloor heating though - will it be too cold? Any idea a approx figure of putting down some sort of underfloor heating? Its about 40 sq yards, may be 35 excluding the utility room.

thanks a million!

Well if you're in the process of tiling it's too late!

The underfloor heating pipes are covered with a sand/cement screed, with at least 2" insulation beneath the pipes, the whole thing laid on a concrete subfloor. So you need to put this in place long before tiling and it's not really something you would retrofit unless you are doing a major renovation (which I am).

There are electrical underfloor mats you can place beneath your tiles but I don't know much about them.

€20 per square yard is on the cheaper end for floor tiles, so maybe you got a good deal.

Thanks extopia and sueellen, after reading the key post, I understand its not a great idea to think of ufh, even mats - though I haven't started laying tiles yet, its going to be an awful lot of work to make enough room to get some insulation under the mat etc. Thanks guys!

Did some more "investigation" (asking around), €20 per sq.yard seems to be the going rate here in Drogheda!

Sorry moneypitt, I thought the €20 per sq. yd. was the cost of the tiles, not of laying them. Going rates vary greatly around the country for sure. I have a very good tiler in the Northwest for €15 per sq. yd. plus a bit extra for borders. etc...

Back