Advice on purchasing suitcases.

The only other cavaet about hard shell cases is that in the past 7 trips to the US we've twice had our locks cut off our cases by Homeland security (can't remember their exact name TSA or something), and had to buy replacement locks, other people on our flights had the locks on their hard cases broken open - at least we have the option of just buying a new lock, their bags are beyond repair, and you don't get compensation.
(I've since ready that if you have books in your case they come up looking 'suspicious', so as I go mad buying books in Barns and Noble every time, its probably why my case has been checked).

Never lock your suitcase when flying to the US (or anywhere else forn that matter I guess) - I am actually amazed you were not told at check in=, just make sure your valuables are in your hand luggage

Never lock your suitcase when flying to the US

I hadn't heard this one before, but then I haven't been to the US since before 9/11. I ALWAYS lock my case with a padlock. I'm going to the US at the end of Dec so y'all reckon to leave the case open? At what point/where do the checks occur? Is it at the Irish airport or on arrival in the US? If it's in the US, does this cause major delays in picking up luggage etc? Just interested as I have a connecting flight which involves change of terminal so a bit worried about delays.

From the The hague US Embassy [broken link removed]:

11. Suitcases
Suitcases should be transported unlocked. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) opens suitcases at random. Possible costs of breaking open the suitcases are for the owner. Suitcases with approved locks may be locked. There is a list of approved locks on the TSA website.

I hadn't heard this one before, but then I haven't been to the US since before 9/11. I ALWAYS lock my case with a padlock. I'm going to the US at the end of Dec so y'all reckon to leave the case open? At what point/where do the checks occur? Is it at the Irish airport or on arrival in the US? If it's in the US, does this cause major delays in picking up luggage etc? Just interested as I have a connecting flight which involves change of terminal so a bit worried about delays.

I think they only check luggage on flights originating in the US, so you should be ok with locking it on the way over. (I travel there most months and always lock my case on the flight over).

Against not locking your suitcase, apparently your insurance won't cover you for any losses incurred for traveling without securing your stuff. In terms of valuables yes I always carry any high value items with me, but just considering the total cost of my make up bag (start to add up foundation, lipstick, make up remover... they add up very quickly).
Also what if your case is used to smuggle drugs? someone pops a nice bag of something into my bag after I check it in, do you really think the nice man at customs will believe me that the only things I'm smuggling back are jeans and runners! As I recall there was a gang doing just that (out of miami I think), using passengers bags to transport to specific airports and letting baggage handler at the other airport retrieve it!

I'll take the chance with having some cheap locks cut off rather than face the implication of not locking my case!

Back