Advice on a car please

CmTaz

I currently drive a Ford Fusion which everyone knows now is a pants car when it comes to resale value :D

That said we have just recently had our first child born and the fusion is not big enough to cater for a child seat ( leaves little leg room for passenger seat ) Whilst the boot isn't too bad space wise a bit of shopping and a buggy is a struggle to fit in.

We are looking for a hatchback style car with more leg room / space than the fusion with a bit bigger boot space. We have about 15k to spend and don't want to go lower than an 04. Obviously safety is a major concern now. Any suggestions please ?

i have an Almera hatchback 04 I bought for 13500.There's loads of legroom in the back and the boot is pretty spacious for a hatchback.Congrats on the new baby

Why dont you stay with Ford - Ford Focus. My brother and his wife had this car for their first and had plenty of room. Very reliable car. Congrats!

I've owned a few Focus C-Max's and they are fine cars for a small family.

The 1.6 TDCI is the best engine, but the petrol 1.6 is ok too.

Insist on the Zetec spec. It's a must.

Would recommend Mazda 3.
1.6 if affordable.
Highly rated in reviews (latest model)
Bought one couple of months ago and happy with choice.

You should be able to get a new model Skoda Octavia for around 15k. Huge boot, lots of legroom, can't recommend them highly enough.

One here...

I'm in the exact same situation myself and have been looking into this for a couple of months now.

So far i've narrowed it down to these:

In terms of safety the newer model Renault Megane,(hatchback & Saloon),
seems to be leading the way. It has a five star safety rating from the Euro NCAP. It is also available in a 1.5l diesel and seems to be very economical.

The Citroen C4 is a reccomended purchase on the Autofinder.ie website however they do state that interior space is tight .
It seems to meet most of the other criteria that we need to be considering ie: safety, cost and running.

I have to agree with Grumpy as well, the mazda 3 is seated highly in any family car rankings i've seen and it looks great!!

At the moment i'm leaning towards the Renault Megane saloon. I like the look of it and the safety rating is a must!!!

I'm in the exact same situation and have been looking into this for the last couple of months.

So far i have it narrowed down to the following:

Renault Megane (hatchback or saloon) looks good, 5 star NCAP safety rating, (only 3 star child protection rating) available in 1.5l diesiel and very economical.

Citroen C4 also 5 star safety rating ( 4 star child protection rating) but tight on interior space.

Mazda 3 highly rated in any of the car rankings i've looked at. Personally i prefer the sedan to the hatchback.

Ford Focus (newer model) has 5 star safety rating (4 star child protection rating). However they are a bit expensive.

At the moment i'm leaning towards the Renault Megane Saloon!

Thanks everyone for the replies - DavidD you were spot on with the Octavia - can't believe the specs for the price. That's what we are settled on.

CmTaz said:
Thanks everyone for the replies - DavidD you were spot on with the Octavia - can't believe the specs for the price. That's what we are settled on.

03 Silver Skoda Fabia Estate 1.4 16v with 29k on the clock for 10k keep the other 5k for a nice holiday and being an estate it has a huge boot for the babas gear

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=349184

Other examples

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&sortby=PriceAsc&maxrows=100&Make=Skoda&MakeID=28&Model=Fabia&ModelID=246&BodyID=4235&GroupID=738

Spinoodled said:
I'm in the exact same situation and have been looking into this for the last couple of months.

So far i have it narrowed down to the following:

Renault Megane (hatchback or saloon) looks good, 5 star NCAP safety rating, (only 3 star child protection rating) available in 1.5l diesiel and very economical.

Citroen C4 also 5 star safety rating ( 4 star child protection rating) but tight on interior space.

Mazda 3 highly rated in any of the car rankings i've looked at. Personally i prefer the sedan to the hatchback.

Ford Focus (newer model) has 5 star safety rating (4 star child protection rating). However they are a bit expensive.

At the moment i'm leaning towards the Renault Megane Saloon!

I wouldn't. They are not well built, and reliability and resale values are terrible.

Back