Advertising Rental Property

QC_Mimi

I have a 2 bed property available to rent - due to tenant leaving earlier than expected. I’m anxious to have it rented out soon, as I’m coming into a busy time work wise and won’t have time to factor in viewings etc. it’s not a high end rental, going at the same rent as previously advertised.

In this current market that shouldn’t be an issue, right?

I don’t use property agents due to previous negative experiences and usually advise my rentals on Daft and MyHome websites, but since Daft have upped their advertising costs I bypassed them and focused on using the MyHome website only.

But I’m not getting much replies this time around. In 24 hours since the ad went live I’ve only gotten 6 replies, by comparison last time I had over 200 responses in the same timeframe.

Am I missing something?! Are tenants starting to ignore private landlords advertisements?

I used daft again. Wanted to have quick answers. 260 answers in less than 11 hours from late evening. I thought it was a desperate situation...

Surely as long as you have one reply, then that will do? If the tenant is okay and the rent is the same, what is the problem? Personally I would rather only have 6 responses than 260!!

Clearly Daft is the main go to for tenants seeking accommodation; I get that.

I’m just questioning if you were a tenant desperately looking to move why focus on the one website and ignore others?

An obvious possibility is that people can't afford the rent that you're charging.

My rental is less than 90% of other properties in the same area. That’s a moot point.

My rental is less than 90% of other properties in the same area. That’s a moot point.
It's not moot.
It's quite possible that people can't afford it.
You asked us to guess why people aren't replying to your ad.
My guess is a valid possibility.

The only negative on daft is that you get a lot of rubbish emails "I am from XXX and want to visit your beautiful country"...

Surely as long as you have one reply, then that will do? If the tenant is okay and the rent is the same, what is the problem? Personally I would rather only have 6 responses than 260!!
That is true. At the same time, more chance of having an okay tenants with 260. You could have 6 unsuitable responses!

That is true. At the same time, more chance of having an okay tenants with 260. You could have 6 unsuitable responses!

There's also the possibility of letdowns: I had a shortlist of 20 people invited to a viewing, and only 10 accepted. But on the day, only 4 out of the 10 turned up—only one of whom I felt was suitable for the property.

No shortage of scams on the like of Facebook out there as well. Perhaps people are being cautious about where they go to look?

Do you really need to advertise at all?

Have you asked around? Someone will probably know someone who needs a place.

I am sure if you contacted a big employer in the area e.g. Google or DCU, they would have a few people for you fairly quickly.

Brendan

Do you really need to advertise at all?

Have you asked around? Someone will probably know someone who needs a place.

I am sure if you contacted a big employer in the area e.g. Google or DCU, they would have a few people for you fairly quickly.

Brendan
I hadn't considered local employers; will check this out.

Back