"Addicted to Money" TV Show - Appalling

If a farmer's land is zoned, and he then sells it for 10m, and the property developer borrows another 20m to build houses, but subsequently goes bust, then the farmer still has the original 10m on deposit
If the farmer then buys bank shares. for 10 million and now these shares are only worth 2 million then where is the 8 million gone?

If the farmer then buys bank shares. for 10 million and now these shares are only worth 2 million then where is the 8 million gone?[/IMG][/URL]

The full €10 million went to the person who sold the shares to the farmer. Who is either then sitting on it or has invested it or has spent it. Money is a unique "commodity" in that consumption does not use it up.
The reason Central Banks believe they have to pump money into the system is because the system was built on miniscule fractional reserve banking and ever increasing asset prices to fuel credit expansion. So when banks increase their reserves less money makes it into the public's hands. When economy's like the US and UK are built on consumption rather than production this has dire consequences, which is why they are "printing" money like there is no tomorrow. The ECB on the other hand has been involved in far, far less quantitative easing, because its biggest member states (Germany, France) have economy's built on production and exports whith its citizens holding real savings.

If a farmer's land is zoned, and he then sells it for 10m, and the property developer borrows another 20m to build houses, but subsequently goes bust, then the farmer still has the original 10m on deposit

If the farmer then buys bank shares. for 10 million and now these shares are only worth 2 million then where is the 8 million gone?

The seller of the shares rec'd 10m in money.

Last night's programme was dreadful. In a triumph of style over substance it was like the director had been let loose in an edit suite for the first time.
And McWilliams jetted all round the world to do a series of long walking shots before stating the bleedin' obvious.
The programme took so long to make that by now it looked horribly outdated.
Christ knows what they spent but McWilliams must have a lot of air miles racked up.

Saw the last 15 minutes of it - totally, totally agree.

If I see him swanking around another airport I'll get sick all over the telly.

What a waste of air time.

ONQ.

Loans are created by entering a balance into an account.

It is not even necessary to print the money.

It would use up a lot of trees to do so.

The amount a Bank can loan in this way is fixed by regulation in relation to its capital deposits, currently up from 6% to 8%.

The day that higher ratio was imposed by the BIS, many American banks became insolvent.

This is the reason for pumping money back into the banks.

PLease correct me if you understand differently to me.

FWIW

ONQ.

Re: Addicted to Money - Appalling

This is a serious problem.

People ask now why did we not listen to the economists who warned of the housing bubble and the economic crash? And I think that this is part of the reason. Their warnings were dressed up in such stupid, sensationalist language, that it would have been like taking the economic forecasts of the Sunday World seriously.

In today's Sunday Business Post Mc William's headline is "NAMA is Highway Robbery". I am just not going to read a sensationalist article like this, so I might be missing some valid points.

But in 2005 he did predict the arrival and consequences of an Irish banking crisis cause by a credit crunch and predicted that NAMA would be set up to deal with it. He was spot on.
DMcW August 3 said:
Think about it. In the event of a crash, Irish banks would see their loan books decimated. This would affect their ratings, their share prices, and ultimately their ability to raise new funds.

We, the public, would be in negative equity territory, so would be both unwilling and unable to borrow.

Traditionally, in such cases, the central bank of the afflicted country would slash interest rates dramatically to kick start borrowing. But we could not do this, as our interest rates are set in Frankfurt and might actually be rising.

Do you think the ECB would cut rates to bail out Ireland -1 per cent of the EU’s population? No, I don’t think so either!

The only thing that we could do is let the state borrow enormously by issuing Irish banking bonds to international investors. This cash could then be given to the crippled banks in the form of a 30-year swap, on the condition that the increased liquidity be squeezed into the system, preventing a credit crunch from taking hold.

But who would pay for this? Well, we would, because a special tax would have to be levied initially to pay the repayments of the bonds until the banks’ balance sheets recovered. It is a scary prospect and one that the 100 per cent 35-year mortgage brokers or the guys involved in 'Irish pricing’ dare not contemplate.
[broken link removed]

This is a serious problem.

People ask now why did we not listen to the economists who warned of the housing bubble and the economic crash? And I think that this is part of the reason. Their warnings were dressed up in such stupid, sensationalist language, that it would have been like taking the economic forecasts of the Sunday World seriously.

In today's Sunday Business Post Mc William's headline is "NAMA is Highway Robbery". I am just not going to read a sensationalist article like this, so I might be missing some valid points.

Funny, but I remember things differently.

I remember people talking about suicide in their boosting of the bubble.
I remember people vacuious argumentsbased on nothing but "trust me I know".

Thanks yo the internet the quotes are still out there to be found if you want to challenge the way you think and to avoid being sucked into such group think again.

But in 2005 he did predict the arrival and consequences of an Irish banking crisis cause by a credit crunch and predicted that NAMA would be set up to deal with it. He was spot on.

[broken link removed]

Thanks carolina.
I think that makes a strong point. No sensationalist language language there. Just well informed and logical analysis.

Let, not fall into the trap of trying to exonerate ourselves for a lack of proper objective logical thinking on this.

We need to use this as a learning experience to make sure in the future we employ for effective critical thinking.

When I look back now at all the arguments employed by the bank and real estate economists who got so much press, not to mention the lay journalists who stuck their oar in and tbrn compare with quotes like that from mcwilliams I just smack myself on the head and wonder how I could have been such a dolt.
I am happy to let him have a little populist licence now.

He has proven he is responsible enough to be granted it.

"We all knew it couldn't last" "Nobody could have seen it coming"
These two statements are irreconcilable. You can take one position or another, you can't take both. Choose which sort of fool you were...

It is very easy to critize someone and look smart on a message board and there are no consequences..

But the facts of the matter is anyone that listened to McWilliams saved themselves a fortune and a lot of personal problems..

Anyone who didnt see this coming had rocks in their heads and they are the same people who will be quick to criticize and deviate people from the message to push their own agenda..

McWilliams message is simple

Be careful the Rules have changed..
Its a different World..

Those are facts that no-one can argue with..

These two statements are irreconcilable. You can take one position or another, you can't take both. Choose which sort of fool you were...

This is a very good point, and something that our politicians are the biggest culprits of.
What annoys me most is that when it comes to bailouts, not just in Ireland but all over the world, politicians are turning to the same economists that were saying "there is no bubble", "this time it's different", "the fundamentals of the economy are sound", "it will be a soft landing", "prices had to come back a bit", etc. Yet those economists that accurately predicted this mess are not being called in to help sort it out.
How many phone calls would you think McWilliams has received from the government asking for advice? I would say exactly zero.

You have to ask yourself if you would dismiss this article so out of hand if any picture other than David's was presented beside the copy under the said headline. The language is colorful but the copy is actually quite an interesting article from the point of view of a non-financial person reading the post for some insight.

Brendan said:

Those who spouted bubble propaganda of the time were unashamed in there misuse of the sensationalist route to appeal to the mass market.

Yes, I think David McWilliams fancies himself ( the transiton of his image to a 3D george clooney in the last episode was ridiculous - I'm not entirely sure that it's all not done tongue in cheek.) However, I wouldn't blame McWilliams for dumbing down for his audience to get the message accross. I know that for all the fanfare in his articles and books, a lot of which vary in quality, he always manages to grab reader attention to thinking about a problem at hand. I think anything that gets us actually thinking en-mass can only be a positive thing.

I think he is very much the Cristiano Ronaldo of media economists. People hate him for all the things he does which, in the grand
scheme of his contribution, are unimportant.

How many phone calls would you think McWilliams has received from the government asking for advice? I would say exactly zero.

Wasn't his work on the Global Economic Forum closely associated with not only government but some of Irelands biggest minds and leaders globally?

I would say exactly zero.
His advice was sought by government ministers including Lenihan and Gormley several times in the lead up to the blanket guarantee scheme.

re: highway robbery. This is not David McWilliams' phrase. This is the direct quote from Joseph Stiglitz
Stiglitz said:
‘‘No, this is the kind of highway robbery which we see happening all over the world, with guns pointing at the heads of the political leaders and the bankers claiming the sky will fall down and the economy will be devastated unless they get this money.”
You would know this if you read the article.

Wasn't his work on the Global Economic Forum closely associated with not only government but some of Irelands biggest minds and leaders globally?

If you look at the final report of the Global Economic Forum you'll see that none of it is in relation to solving the Irish banking, budget or debt crisis. All the forum did was come with fancy sounding ideas like:
- "Create comprehensive database of influential Irish individuals and businesses across
the world."
- "Government to develop and implement revised Asia Strategy and establish similar
strategies for other emerging markets."
- "Establish Irish innovation centre in California."
- "Ensure more consistent branding of Ireland as a tourist destination."

All a bit wishy-washy to me and creating more expenditures in a time when there is no money to spare for such fancy sounding projects. Makes about as much sense as telling someone who has fallen behind in mortgage payments to take out a loan.

Here is another quote:
"We are establishing a National Asset Management Agency to remove both good and
bad property and development loans from the balance sheets of Irish banks. This will
allow the banks return to their normal business of lending for productive investment.
This too will help provide a stable basis for economic recovery."

I don't think that's something McWilliams would put his name to.

His advice was sought by government ministers including Lenihan and Gormley several times in the lead up to the blanket guarantee scheme.

I've never heard this mentioned before and doubt it very much. The Sunday before the bank guarantee scheme McWilliams published the idea of guaranteeing all bank deposits in the SBP. In a radio interview a few days later he made no indication that he had been consulted when asked how ironic it was that his idea was implemented very shortly after, almost as if the Brians had read the paper on Sunday on said "let's do that".

For the banks and others who gambled on the sub prime mortgages, sky high property prices, dodgy insurance products, it not really of a matter if they can see it coming or not - its a matter of timing. Ride the good times and bail before the crash. They see that as fair game in the making money business. Its far removed from traditional banking.

Even warrent buffet rode the wave for a whilst before selling his credit default swaps as he predicted they would be time bomb.

If you were one of those bankers you probably will know that it is going to end badly but if you make more money on the way up then you do if you get caught short then its a gamble worth taking. To not have taken it would have cost you your job. Thats the sad reality.

I remember those who predicted the dot com crash getting little praise as bailing out early (but correctly) would have meant missing out on the biggest stock boom in history.

As it now appears McWilliams was right as the scale of the disaster was to the degree that he warned out. Thats were most others got it wrong. The worse case scenario has come true.

I've never heard this mentioned before and doubt it very much. The Sunday before the bank guarantee scheme McWilliams published the idea of guaranteeing all bank deposits in the SBP. In a radio interview a few days later he made no indication that he had been consulted when asked how ironic it was that his idea was implemented very shortly after, almost as if the Brians had read the paper on Sunday on said "let's do that".
[broken link removed]
and
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article4882496.ece

Allow me to direct you to the change in capital requirements foisted on American Banks by the B.I.S.

In my opinion this was a major factor in the current crisis, but seems to have been little discussed.

Is it that people don't know about it, or cannot comment on it - I would love to see some informed comment.

ONQ.

Back