Acknowledgement of death nine months ago

Concert

I have just found out about a death that occured nine months ago, it's a family member of a girl I was at boarding schooll with many years ago. Just wondering if it is too late to send a mass card at this stage or could somebody give me another suggestion as to a way of sympathising. Thanks

I would run with the mass card idea with a short note sympathising and explaining that you had only heard about the death recently. If you live anywhere nearby a bunch of flowers, mass card and short visit might be nicer if you feel you know/knew the person well enough.

This might be stating the obvious, but the mass card would really only be suitable if the deceased and your friend are religious - not everyone is.

Now that the family has had a little time to grieve, I am sure that a sympathy card and a short letter would be appreciated.
When my father died, I was delighted to hear from a family friend who had moved to France and had not heard of the death. He send me a short note and an old photo he taken of my father.
I still have the note. I copied the photo for other family members who were also delighted with our friend's gesture.

Its never too late, after I lost my own parents for months and even years afterwards I would bump into someone who had not heard for one reason or another, I always appreciated someone saying it to me, and I did continue to receive cards and notes for many months, which were also always appreciated.

Paddyman - thats a lovely story.

I'd agree - never too late. I bumped into a cousin some times removed who recalled playing with another cousin on my dad's side at my parents wedding in the late 60s. Both were 9 or 10 at the time, and stayed in touch for a year or so.

One died unfortunately 20 years ago and the other one asked for her when I met her recently. She was shocked when i broke the news that the other cousin had died, and wrote a lovely letter to my parents as they tried to recreate as many of the people that were at their wedding at a recent anniversary.

They really appreciated it.

I'd agree - never too late. I bumped into a cousin some times removed who recalled playing with another cousin on my dad's side at my parents wedding in the late 60s. Both were 9 or 10 at the time, and stayed in touch for a year or so.

One died unfortunately 20 years ago and the other one asked for her when I met her recently. She was shocked when i broke the news that the other cousin had died, and wrote a lovely letter to my parents as they tried to recreate as many of the people that were at their wedding at a recent anniversary.

They really appreciated it.

This thread is a year & a half old!
Might be a bit late now

Back