Accounting Package

Accounting packages are always developed according to each country's requirements. There are other differences as well like different VAT rates, tax rates, currency etc. If you are irish business then make sure you buy irish version.

Any package I've ever seen allows you to set your own VAT rates, tax rates and currency. I would always look to source software outside of Ireland as in my experience it is always cheaper to do so.

Any package I've ever seen allows you to set your own VAT rates, tax rates and currency. I would always look to source software outside of Ireland as in my experience it is always cheaper to do so.
If sourcing outside of ireland, which package would you recommend for a sole trader/part time business?

I've used MYOB Business Basics for years, it's easy to use and perfect for a sole trader or small business. You can download a 30 day trial version from the UK site.

Hi,

A friend of mine is using The Virtual Accountant at Hook Head and swears by it. As far as I know it is an online accounting package designed for contractors or small businesses. Apparently you can produce invoices online. It tracks sales invoices, purchases invoices, expenses, salaries and produces reports for Tax returns. I found this description on the their site. It's a little long, but perhaps it will answer your questions.

Rgds,
Fergal

Hi,

I am just after setting up a small business and require an Accounting Package to do the following:
  • Print Invoices
  • Handle VAT
  • Track Customers
  • Track Payments
  • Print Receipts
  • Handle Bank Account
And any other small business tasks. Want to have the provision also to build on the package if I expand in the future. At the moment, just the one user is required.

Any recommendations?

I have been looking QuickBooks 2006 SimpleStart

Any others?

Fergalfly, and both with a link to hook head?? Don't be surprised if these are treated with suspicion. Have you read the ?

Can you not just change the vat rates/currency rates etc. to what ever your country's requirements are.
Vat rates will change within your region so you will probably have to change them anyway.

Has anyone used the Irish package "Sort my Books"?
Am wondering if it's worth using for a bookkeeping/accountancy ignoramus (which is why I'm spending Sunday with the books, aghast at how much I'm owed) and also if anyone outside Kerry uses it!

Back