Accidents on roundabouts

Another roundabout scenario, was recently involved in an accident on the Red Cow Roundabout. I was travelling down the Naas Road in the centre lane, truck on the inside lane beside me. We were both stopped at the 2nd set of lights on the roundabout. When the lights turned green we both set off heading for the M50 northbound, he indicated and pulled into my lane on top of me. When we got out to inspect the damage he claimed that the lane I was in is for heading towards the city centre while I maintain that it is also for turning onto the M50. Am still unsure who is correct but if I should have turned off, then does full liability stop with me or should some liability be with him since he was the one making a manouever. Any ideas !!!!!!!

Hi edel V,

If you are in a lane, irrespective where you are going its "Your" lane.

(How does the other person know where you are going or whither you are in the correct lane for your destination ?)

So, IMHO lorry driver 100% to blame.

Before changing into a new lane, person should ensure its not already occupied.:)

Ned.ie said:

Just to be very precise about this, you must give way to any car which is already on the roundabout.

As I approach a roundabout of 4 junctions, I tend to look to my right. If there is nothing coming, I drive straight onto the roundabout. But this is not correct. As I approach the roundabout, if there is a car on the roundabout at the next junction to my left, I must slow down and let him go ahead.

And I think that this is where the confusion arises. If he nips onto the roundabout ahead of me, he is in the wrong. But if I rear-end him, I will lose the case.

But think about the poor cyclists. Cars regularly overtake cyclists on the approach to roundabouts, so I cycle in the middle of the road as I approach, so that they can't do it. Cars approaching from one of the other junctions, just ignore the bike anyway.

Brendan

Hi Brendan - As an ex-bicyclist (lost my nerve with encroaching age!) I pity their plight on roundabouts because most traffic behaves as if they don't exist. Assertive biking at roundabouts is recommended and afaik motorists are not supposed to overtake a bike but slow and wait. So the routine should be wherever one comes onto the roundabout if there's a cyclist ahead slow down and wait until s(he) signals and changes lanes to indicate their point of exit. Then in the exit road overtake and pass when it's safe to do so!

Back