AA roadside rescue

trojan

I know that if AA cannot effect roadside repairs they will tow car to nearest approved AA garage or my garage if it is no further. I also appreciate if i dont have Rescue Plus cover they are under no obligation to arrange transport for me getting home but i am told they will do everything possible to help to achieve this. Has anyone any experience from a practical point of view what happens in this type of situation say the person is unable to get anyone to come and provide a lift any maybe not carrying enough cash to pay for a taxi.

There are different options available and I think cheapest basic service is around 60 euro. Check Mapfre they are in Galway I think

I know that if AA cannot effect roadside repairs they will tow car to nearest approved AA garage or my garage if it is no further. I also appreciate if i dont have Rescue Plus cover they are under no obligation to arrange transport for me getting home but i am told they will do everything possible to help to achieve this. Has anyone any experience from a practical point of view what happens in this type of situation say the person is unable to get anyone to come and provide a lift any maybe not carrying enough cash to pay for a taxi.
Many years ago when I was a nipper I was travelling to Sligo with my mother when she decided to kill a rock which was crossing the road. The rock had other plans and tore out her sump. The AA guy, a local recovery guy on contract, said he would drive us to the nearest town so we could get a train or bus but in the end he drove us all the way back to Dublin. Lovely man he was.
The AA are great and great value. Not much need for them if you have a new car but if you have an old car they are a great investment.

A few years ago I broke down on Christmas day in the middle of nowhere in County Limerick, as you can imagine, nothing was open. The tow truck came to pick up my car, and his Dad, gave me a lift home ( over 100km away!). In fairness I paid him, but it was a relief. Garage 'fixed' my car, I hadn't realised about rescue plus, but I then paid for rescue plus immediately. A few weeks later on the way to a conference the bloody car broke down again, this time in the middle of nowhere in County Kerry. A taxi came to pick me up- although I had to wait about 30/40 minutes for it- and brought me to Tralee to a car hire place where I got a hire car to continue on my way. I missed the first hour of the conference though and that was ok but if I had been on the way to court it would have been more difficult. When I got home I bought a new car with a 5 year warranty and I am still a member of the AA. AA rescue plus is well worth the money and I found the AA to be very nice to deal with but if your car breaks down it is a hassle and you will lose hours out of the day, so I suppose it depends on your circumstances. If you need to get somewhere on time for work or get home for children at strict times, it won't be good enough.

A couple of years ago, we took the kids, both under 6 at the time, to visit family in south England. The day before we were due to travel home the car broke down in the middle of a motorway. Thankfully had Europewide AA cover. The AA organised to pickup the car and brought it back to where we were staying, there was about a 2 hr wait for the tow truck, so my aunt picked myself and the kids up but hubbie stayed alongside the car and got a lift back with the tow truck.

As we were booked on the ferry the next day, there wasn't time to get the car fixed locally, so the AA organised a rental car for us to drive back to Holyhead, a tow truck arrived early the next morning to pickup the car and get it to Holyhead. Due to issues with Irish Ferries we couldn't get our booked ferry as they wouldn't allow the tow truck on to drop off our car. The next ferry wasn't till the following morning. The AA organised a b&b for us and having dropped off the rental car the tow truck took us and our own car to the b&b. We were all picked up the following morning and brought back to the ferry depot.

When we arrived to Dublin, an AA tow truck was waiting for us and got us and the car home late on Sunday evening. As our preferred garage wasn't open they organised to come back out on Monday morning and got the car to the garage.

From start to finish the AA were amazing to deal with, and I've been a member ever since, I also see you can now take out Europe wide cover for just the period you will be away.

On the other hand don't get me started on Irish Ferries who were a disaster to deal with, conflicting advice given on the phone and then a complete joke when we got to port!

A couple of years ago, we took the kids, both under 6 at the time, to visit family in south England. The day before we were due to travel home the car broke down in the middle of a motorway. Thankfully had Europewide AA cover. The AA organised to pickup the car and brought it back to where we were staying, there was about a 2 hr wait for the tow truck, so my aunt picked myself and the kids up but hubbie stayed alongside the car and got a lift back with the tow truck.

As we were booked on the ferry the next day, there wasn't time to get the car fixed locally, so the AA organised a rental car for us to drive back to Holyhead, a tow truck arrived early the next morning to pickup the car and get it to Holyhead. Due to issues with Irish Ferries we couldn't get our booked ferry as they wouldn't allow the tow truck on to drop off our car. The next ferry wasn't till the following morning. The AA organised a b&b for us and having dropped off the rental car the tow truck took us and our own car to the b&b. We were all picked up the following morning and brought back to the ferry depot.

When we arrived to Dublin, an AA tow truck was waiting for us and got us and the car home late on Sunday evening. As our preferred garage wasn't open they organised to come back out on Monday morning and got the car to the garage.

From start to finish the AA were amazing to deal with, and I've been a member ever since, I also see you can now take out Europe wide cover for just the period you will be away.

On the other hand don't get me started on Irish Ferries who were a disaster to deal with, conflicting advice given on the phone and then a complete joke when we got to port!
Thanks for all the responses. I raised this matter at a retired group of which i am a member. Some raised the issue of the need to be in the AA in view of the breakdown cover offered by most Insurance Companies but the majority view was the AA were excellent to deal with. Would i be correct in thinking you would have a better chance of getting fixed on the road with the AA as they probably carry more equipment. I have no intention of leaving them but just curious

Back