A friend going though a particulary hard time at work

It would also be interested to know who/ what process defined this as the 'solution'?
Did they do some sort of evaluation- and what method?
Or was this all based on management gut feeling or 'obvious' solution?
Were there other alternative solutions which might have worked better?
Just something else to think about :) Hope she gets sorted...

Mrmr and Mpsox gave great advice. However it sounds as though everyone at the table may be new to PMgmt.

Suggest that your friend looks for a feasibility document that actually states the requirements of the project.........it reads to me that someone in management was 'sold' a solution and told to get someone on the staff to deliver it. If that is the case your friend will end up being the fall guy for the project not being implemented. She seriously needs to get herself into HR/Line Manager and clearly articulate that she doesn't have the skills for the role if the above is beyond her reach.

Did she seek the role??? I've seen many many PMs hit the dirt and shed lots of tears because this stage of the project (feasibility and defining the project scope) was not actioned properly, myself included.

Hi Claire, I think you have hit the nail on the head here. My friend did not seek the role out as such, she was given this project to implement (along with doing her own work).. From what I can make out, she holds weekly and monthly meetings. My understanding is, in the weekly meetings she gets managment to tell her what they want from certain figures.
She gooes off, does the analysis, in some cases what managment want cannot be done. And this is where she is beeing hammered, she meets managment monthly - gives some detailed analysis, and explains what she could do and not do... No one is happy, and more pressure is piled on her....

Hi all, I would just like to give an update as to what is going on. My friend was told earlier in the year that she had 2 months to improve the area she worked on. She did her presentation and from what I know they were relatively happy. This performance review involved HR, and there would be 3 outcomes:

1) No improvement - disciplinary procedure starts.
2) An improvement - all ok, life would go back to normal..
3) A huge improvement - all OK.. life would go back to normal..

After the meeting, my friend was informed that the company could see a lot of improvements in the area, there was no disciplinary proceedings. However she noticed, that things were not going back to normal. She was still not allowed manage her original area, her focus was to continue on this project.

She was called into a meeting on Monday, and told that they would like her to offer her resignation. If she doesn't they will start disciplinary proceedings..
mmmhhh

She needs a solicitor. She's probably going to lose her job - it's now down to what exit package can be negotiated.

Back