6 Month Delayed Repayments

SP2K16

I may have dreamt this as I can't find anything online about it. Is it possible to delay repayments on a new mortgage by 6 months? Like a 6 month grace period? I thought I saw one of the banks advertise it before.

Bank of Ireland had a 'payment holiday' included in it's adverts recently

However, make sure you now how much that payment holiday is going to cost you over the lifetime of the mortgage ( hint : a lot!)

AIB offer the same. 6 month deferred payments at the start. Think there might also be a holiday option mid mortgage too.

"Grace period" is not an appropriate term. There is a cost to a payment holiday. During any payment break the interest would continue to accumulate. On a new mortgage, the percentage of any repayment that is interest is considerable. That will still have to be repaid and you would be charged interest on that interest.

Any AMMers know how UB operate their mortgage 'Payment Holiday' option? On their website it says "Payment holidays – you may be able to take a break from making repayments, which is particularly useful if you are thinking of taking a career break or are having a baby , interest will be added to the mortgage capital during the payment holiday". Do they give these out like sweets or do you have to jump through very specific hoops?

Last edited:
Back