50% Refurbishment grants...?

Becca

I've seen a house for sale on an estate and according to the auctioneers web listing there is a 50% refurbishment grant available for the house (Subject to conditions).

Does anyone know who grants these 50% refurbishment grants?

Are they available to owner occupiers, or only for rental properties?

Thanks!

Curious. Is it a listed or period property? Is it for people with a disability? Has it a thatched roof? Is the grant for a new well? Tell us more. It is in Ireland?

Yeah it's in Ireland. It's an ex-council house, or perhaps being sold by the council.

It's on a housing estate in a town. So it's not a listed or a period property. Probably 1950s/60s.

So, no, it doesn't have a thatched roof and it's not for a new well.

Doesn't mention anything about people with a disability.

Just says "Subject to conditions".

I am not personally aware of a 50% grant for such works- i understand that the DoEHLG (www.environ.ie) had such a grant in the mid- 1980s, maybe they are bringing this back. However, i would consider this unlikely in the present times.

Here's some grants that eligible persons might typically benefit from...

- Disabled Persons Grant (up to c. 20k euro)- Local Authorities nationwide
[broken link removed]

- Essential Repairs Grant (up to c. 9.5k euro)- Local Authorities nationwide
[broken link removed]

- Conservation of Protected Structure Grant (up to c. 12.5k euro) Local Authorities nationwide
[broken link removed]

- Thatching Grant (DoEHLG) - National scheme
www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/b90ddfd0a73dbfdc80256f0f003bc7eb/$FILE/HA2-T%20Memo.doc is application/ details
http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIHome.nsf/wvNavView/ContactDetails?OpenDocument&Lang=en#26

- Buildings at Risk Grant (Heritage Council)- National scheme
[broken link removed]

- Sustainable Energy Ireland (SEI)- National scheme
[broken link removed]

- Grants under the Housing (Gaeltacht) Acts- Specified areas
[broken link removed]

- Town/ Rural Renewal Scheme (Revenue)- Specified counties and towns nationwide
Tax benefits for expenditure on upgrading properties in these areas may still be available on a reduced basis to from the incentives offered originally, as the scheme is being phased out. The main scheme for developments (requiring planning permission) has ceased and only those currently under construction will benefit. Check http://www.revenue.ie or contact your tax advisor.

Perhaps there are other grants, but these will get you started and you may be eligible for 1 or more...

(Apologies to Dublin City Council for specific references, but i am using their links as a guide)

Obviously some form of a council grant then. I suspect it would only be available to non-investors, possibly might even be more stringent. You would have to contact the council to get better details.

Back