50% now, 50% next year, 0% APR promo

Lorz

A reputable main dealer in Cork are offering a 50:50 deal on all second hand cars in all 3 of their garages.

Pay 50% now (through deposit or trade in) and pay balance (50%) next year - 0% APR. Seems like a good deal.

Anything to watch out for?

Read the full terms & conditions in case there are any hidden gotchas. Perhaps the effective cost of credit is built into the price?

I'd say that one thing to look out for/keep an eye on is the repayment date. If you miss it by a day, you could be liable for interest on the total amount (or the 50%) for the entire year, or you may have to repay it as a loan over say 3 years.

As ClubMan says, is the cost of buying in this way more expensive than buying for cash?

Also, the reputation of the dealer is pretty much irrelevant. The finance offer is almost certainly underwritten with a financial institution, i.e. they will pay the dealer and you will pay the lender.

Thanks for the tips. There is no extra cost for the service as it's available on their entire used car fleet - prices advertised in several places and no increase visible. Obviously you would get a better deal as a cash buyer but I don't seem to have much luck selling cars privately so I'll be trading in. I suppose the main thing to check is that you're not tied to paying the balance next year with a loan through their finance co.

Any chance of letting me know what dealer is running this offer as I would be very interested in looking at his stock.

Thanks ;)

I would be wary of an inflated price.

Second hand car prices are always bumped up & if you're a cash buyer you should look to be getting 10% off, especially this time of year as the new year's car rush has died off.

Compare the price with carzone.ie, cbg.ie or another dealer first. (bearing in mind that they will also have neogotiation room built in)

Kearys. I've been checking their site and adverts lately and so I know that the prices haven't been inflated for cars currently in stock. As said already I know I would get a better price as a cash buyer but I have a car to trade in. For anyone that's interested.....

http://www.kearys.ie/promotions.asp

Don't have any terms & conditions listed on the website or indeed their advert on Saturday's Examiner....

You're not comparing like with like - all the cars listed above are private sales. Obviously you will ALWAYS buy cheaper when buying privately because you are taking a chance, have no recourse and no warranty. Even if these cars were with a garage there is a difference between garage and main dealer/reputable garage. I got stung quite badly with my last car by dealing with a "garage" and I won't make the same mistake again - you pay for what you get!

Ok I see your point about private and dealer prices, but I found examples in carzone of dealers (not Toyota) selling 1 to 2k cheaper than 12k.

But to be honest if I was looking for a second hand small engined car would be very interested in low mileage 2 or 3 year old , 1 lady owner, yaris because. 9 times out of 10 that car has been looked after, driven carefully, you can talk directly to the previous owner, not to a salesman who would probably sell his/her own mother! and if I save 2 or 3k on the dealer price, it will pay for any small maintenance cost that might happen in 1 year. Ok maybe not an engine failure or something big like that!

plus if I saw a 3 year old yaris or any car in a dealer the first thing in my mind is why has this car been traded in only after 3 years? why didn't he/she try to sell it privately?
its a bit paranoid I know, but I would still think it!

Getting back to the thread, if this deal is genuine, i.e. no hidden charges, penalties.
And you want the security of a warranty, then it’s worth a look.

But always remember not to pay over the odds for the car in the first place.

take their 50, 50 deal, but don't let this stop you from haggling also!

mc-BigE said:
plus if I saw a 3 year old yaris or any car in a dealer the first thing in my mind is why has this car been traded in only after 3 years?

The majority of people buying new cars will change it for a new one 3 or 4 years later.

mc-BigE said:
why didn't he/she try to sell it privately?
Too much hassle is the simple answer...

With me, when I look at any car, dealer or private, the car and owner are guilty until proven innocent!

Regarding trading in, yes it's simpler,
but not always the cheapest/wisest option!

Let me start by saying I have no affiliation with Kearys (just in case it would appear that way) There is still a difference between buying from a garage and a main dealer. If there is a re-call, the main dealer will know this, if there is a particular problem with fuel pump (for example) the dealer will also know this.

A lot of people change car every 3-4 years and even more frequently. I'm not buying a Yaris so the chance of a little old dear having driven the car I want is slim!

Have you tried selling a car privately? Do you know the cost of adverts, the amount of timewasters (there's a reason people say "no tyre kickers"). Sister sold her car a few years ago - had it from new - excellent condition - well maintained - never a days trouble and yet the new owner felt the need to call 12months later when something went wrong. I presume the damage had nothing to do with the fact that a 17yr old had been driving the car!

Yes, you do pay for the convenience of trading in but in my eyes and from past experience - it's worth every penny!

Lorz said:
Yes, you do pay for the convenience of trading in but in my eyes and from past experience - it's worth every penny!

It is worth 2 or 3k € or more difference, Because that’s how much trading in is going to cost you for piece of mind?

Ok, it boils down to personal preference, do you want the hassle of selling the car yourself and go to dealer with cash. or do it the easy way and trade my car in? there are a number of other threads about the pros and cons of trading in.

Yes it cost money to advertise and time wasters are a problem.

When you sell a car privately the buyer must understand that it is a private deal and there is no guarantee /warranty with the sale. And legally your not responsible for repair of the car. Your car should be priced to reflect this. i.e. your car will not sell if its priced near the dealers price.

I’ve sold 4 cars privately since 2000 and I’ve had no problems so far, maybe Im the lucky one, but the key is that the cars were not overpriced, they were all in PMO when I sold them.

Even if you sell privately at trade in prices, you still save as a cash buyer on your new car.

I don't think anyone pays the price advertised - everyone haggles! ;) I would pay up to €2k for the convenience of trading in but I'm not buying a Yaris worth €12k so it's not ~15% of the value of the car!

Well done on selling your car privately - as I've said, I've tried in the past, failed, paid for all the adverts on websites and local papers and wasted plenty of time cleaning the car and showing it to prospective buyers.

While I KNOW that buying privately does not provide any warranty or guarantee, I was pointing out that some buyers do not know this or if they do, chance their arm!

You've said you sold 4 cars privately since 2000 - averaging at changing every 18months and yet you questioned why someone would change every 3-4yrs!?! :confused: Perhaps you sold for other family members. If so, care to sell my car? ;)

Yes, i sold for family members as well as myself but all were secondhand.
2 cars from Japan, 1 from UK and my last car from a dealer back in Jan.

all cars were sold privately.

I'd love to sell your car for you, but my commisson would be too much!
cut out the middle man and sell it yourself :)

Back