3rd Level Student Loan Refusal

doc48

Hi All.
Some advice required. My daughter (20) enters 3rd year University this year.
Had made plans to go Norway as part of her Erasmus year from Aug-Dec 09
However both myself, my wife & our eldest daughter won't be accepted as guarantor by Ulster Bank as I have been out of work since last year. My eldest wont be accepted as she has a large mortgage.

Is there any institution that will loan her the money ?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Doc

Hi All.
Is there any institution that will loan her the money ?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Doc

She can change her plans?
I good life lesson is you can't have what you can't afford.

OP since you are out of work is there any grant/financial assistance available through your local authority or the university that she could avail of?

Generally, students can have difficulty getting a loan from a bank they have no relationship with. Did you approach your own bank??

Hi Moneyhoney.

No, didn't approach my own bank.. Didn't think they would approachable during the current climate....she is currently receiving a maintenance grant but is not enough to cover her flights,accom, and spending money...

she may have to a take year out because of this, as this has now thrown all off kilter !!!
she is waiting for a response from Uni as she has contacted head of dept regarding this mess.

Ive always found Ulster Bank to be very good, the give interest free overdrafts up to 2,800 as far as i remember.
It would be such a shame to miss out on it, but then again it depends on how much she would need.
She should make an appointment with them or any of the other banks for interest free overdrafts and see what any of them can offer.
You should look at the websites to see what the banks offer students these days.
If she doesnt ask: she wont get.
Hope it all works out ok.

Is there any way she could get a job between now and August and try and save some of the money to bring with her, as possibly the bank will lend her a lower amount. My son is heading off next month on a J1, and has been working one day a week since November. I am making him save most of the money, which isn't much, but it means I only had to go guarantor on half the amount we thought he would need.

Do you think she would be able to get a small summer job perhaps even one day a week or a couple of evenings? She could save a lot between now and August.

Is she allowed to work while away or does she have to cover all her own expenses with previous earnings?

Many of the colleges have bank branches in the colleges themselves and the staff working in them are more familiar with this part of the course where student go abroad for a year. In addition many of the students that I know who went to Spain and France got money towards their accommodation I am not sure how much.

hi, im also trying to apply for that loan. can you just help me out please. what information do they require from your university to get the loan.

hi, im also trying to apply for that loan. can you just help me out please. what information do they require from your university to get the loan.

You seem to be in college abroad, claiming social welfare and looking for a loan which you don't have to pay back. What gives?

Back