2nd mortgage no deposit, but €120k equity in my home

liger

Hi,

Currently we live in a commuter town but due to changes in work It would be easier for me not to have to travel 80km to work, especially with long days all the time.

I was thinking of looking for a 2 bed 2 bath apt in dublin and having somewhere to stay when I need. I wouldn't mind renting the spare room to cut the cost.

My house is valued at about 220k. My mortgage is 100k. I don't have a way to get a 20% deposit but would a bank work with the equity in my current place?

I an reluctant to sit down with anyone in a branch as most of my experience with them have been trying to hassle you into an application as they can't do anything until an official application is in.

I don't think you have much hope of this. Bank would have to get security on your current home and they've been burnt too many times.
Why not just Airbnb or B&B it on the odd nights you need it?

I don't think you have much hope of this. Bank would have to get security on your current home and they've been burnt too many times.
Why not just Airbnb or B&B it on the odd nights you need it?

I prefer to have my money not paying someone else's mortgage when I could be paying my own. Also I have or want to work short notice OT I don't want to be worried about nor having a place.

So the bank my mortgage is with might be the best option but does anybody have experience of this recently.

So the bank my mortgage is with might be the best option
Definitely the only option! main issue will be your ability to pay both mortgages on a stressed basis. You need to approach your bank on this as it is the only way of getting a decision. Formal application is required as no staff member can give you an answer until the facts are presented to the underwriting dept.

Central Bank rules impose an LTV limit of 70% for non-PDH loans (with limited exceptions).

Don't forget that there are a lot of costs associated with maintaining two properties over and beyond the increased mortgage payments (LPT, OMC, etc.).

I would say the repayments would be fine. Even with the stress test.

I didn't know about the 70%. Maybe they can reshape the mortgage to move equity from main residence to 2nd. I know the expenses add up quick. That's why I wouldn't have a problem letting out the second room.

Back