29th February

P

Protocol

A friend is paid per month, whereas other workers in the same business are paid per hour/week.

He suggests that they will get the benefit of the extra day in February reflected in their pay, while he won't.

That's 10 days pay lost in a 40-year career, he says.

Is he right, or is there something missing in his argument?

Protocol.

Surely everybody gets paid for 52 weeks one way or another?

Mmmm curious! I get paid by the month, I get the same whether there's 28/30/31 days in the month. I don't know about a differance if I was paid weekly, but what if I was paid by the hour? Would I see a swing in pay month to month? It would probably even out over the year, I think..

Hi Protocol,

You are correct!

and theres more...every few years there are 53 weeks (paydays) in the year. In my company there are a few people who are paid an annual salary, but they choose to be paid weekly. Their annual salary is divided by 52 and every 4/5 years they get an additional weeks wages. (properly the salary should be divided by 53 in a long year but the practice has evolved over the years and no one has changed it).

also what happens the hour when the clocks go back (and forward?)

ajapale

Hi Ajapale.

As far as I know in the public service if you are on an annual salary and are paid weekly your weekly rate of pay is (annual salary/52.18) .

This I think makes allowances for leap years.

365/7days=52.14 weeks
366/7days=52.28 weeks
3years of 52.14 weeks=156.42 plus 1 year 52.28 weeks
gives a total of 208.7 weeks in 4 years.
Which is an average of 52.175 weeks/year rounded 52.18 as above.
These are just my calculations and may not be the reason for using the factor 52.18 in the calculations but it makes sense to me.

Then again I have been known to be wrong.

Sorry Dark glasses above were unintentional

Should read 52.18

Occasional

You are correct.

The worker who is paid monthly is either on an hourly/daily rate or an annual salary. If the former, then the no. of hours/days worked will be paid at current rate. It does not matter when you get the cheque.

Slim 8) (shades intentional)

Hi Occasional,

Thanks for the information on how this is calculated in the Public Service.It would seem a fair way to do it.

Ajapale

paid fortnightly

I am paid fortnightly but paid a different fortnightly pay in a leap year - I am in the public sector.
When I queried why my first pay slip this year was less than my Dec pay slip I was told it was because of the leap year - the company gets Feb 29for nothing.

The reason is based on category of employee - certain categories are considered to be weekly/hourly quoted and therefore they are not affected - how this works out as all pay negotiations indicate annual salaries I don't know. While annual salary people are divided by 366 and therefore lose the day.

regarding a 52 /53 week pay period - this seems to be due to tax returns and does not effect the annual salary. same for fortnight of 26/27 weeks.

the averaging out of the number of weeks suggested seems logically but why my company in the public sector does not apply this I do not know - except that any opportunity to keep costs down is availed off.

Re: paid fortnightly

I am surprised that your salary is not divided by 365.25 as is the case in local authorities and health boards. It seems bizarre that any organisation, let alone a public sector one, can get away with such a practice. By the way, this suggests that you do slightly better in the other 3 years, i.e. your annual salary was divided by 365.

Slim 8)

Annual salary paid hourly or weekly

Slim,

Thanks for that interesting information. I imagine different practices have evolved over the years and in the past pre compurerisation it was down to the particular payroll clerk.

This is also an issue when calculating the pay due to starters and finishers who work a part day or week or month.

also what happens the hour when the clocks go back (and forward?)

Does anyone know what happens in shift work situations when the clock goes back. Does the shift worker get an extra hours pay? and if so is it at standard rate?

ajapale

Re: Annual salary paid hourly or weekly

Does anyone know what happens in shift work situations when the clock goes back. Does the shift worker get an extra hours pay? and if so is it at standard rate?

Nurses and public service staff get nothing extra for it. It's just the luck of the draw!

Slim 8)

Re: Clocks changing

Where I work if you're on shift when the clocks go forward you get paid for your full shift. But if you're on shift when the clocks go back, you get paid the extra hour at overtime rate. Not bad eh!

Back