2000 sq ft retail

H

HELMAR1A

hi
I am seeking planning for a retail unit of approx 2000 sq ft with the same space on the first floor.It will be located on a busy(traffic wise) corner site in a town of 3000 people.As I would not be able to build this unit without first securing a tennant,I was wondering what retailers are expanding in Ireland at present and would be interested in this reasonably high profile site.

Hi Helmaria
Ive heard of a pet franchise Maxi Zoo or maybe Boots or Tesco.It doesnt seem to be in a very big town for most retailers.

Lidl and Aldi require about 900 sq metres of floor space plus wharehouse space plus carparking. Not many other retailers are expanding I'm afraid.

Very busy junction with a car park for 88 cars 50 meters away.Footfall wouldn't be great though.More suitable for a "destination" retailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fast food? All contentious uses which attract plenty of objections but good turnovers.

4,000 sq.ft of retail in a town of 3,000?

Newtownmountkennedy used to be around 2,500 persons and had something like 10,000 sq.ft. total, so your intention may be a little excessive, depending on the existing retail provision.

I'd say you might be limited more by the county and local area development plans than by not having an end user and you might check with the planners first if you have not already done so.

The general position these days seems to be to cater for local needs as opposed to single use end-user retail generating large numbers of traffic movements on local and national roads.

Mobility management plans seem to actually mitigate against providing car spaces.

FWIW

ONQ.

Its really only 2000 sq ft as I intend to let the first floor as office space.Have met planners on 6 different ocassions,Its a run down building and they want to see it redeveloped

If you have the planners with you that's half the battle. :)
In that case, I advise as follows;

Most retailers seems to be bailing out water in leaky ships right now and are not looking to expand, but a successful developer finds out the one or two [and some have been mentioned above] who may seek opportunity in adversity and actually expand in a recession.
In addition there may be once-off users particular to that location who may be interested.

However while you could try to tailor your application to an end user, you may not be able to get anyone to commit to taking space or even advising you at this stage.
This means you will do as many people did in the nineties and propose a speculative development based on estimations, partly informed by development plan requirements for your proposed uses.

I respectfully suggest you proceed not only with making your planning application but also obtain a Retail and Office Use Fire Safety Certificate.
If nothing else this will bring a credible package to the market which may generate its own interest during the application process.
And if the fish still aren't biting you will be in a position to either sell the site "ready to go" or take a risk and build it out.

Finally you should be aware of your responsibilities under the Health and Safety, Disabled Access Certificate and Building Energy Rating Certificate legislation.

FWIW

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Thanks for that ONQ.
I may take the risk and build as building costs are much lower.If I was to sell on the site I would take too much of a financial hit as it was purchased in Feb '07.I dont need huge rent as I already own the site and a further investment of say €400,000 could be financed by a rent roll of 30 to 40k.But to be able to get the finance I need to have somebody signed up for the ground floor.The first floor rent would be a bonus.

Thanks for that ONQ.
I may take the risk and build as building costs are much lower.If I was to sell on the site I would take too much of a financial hit as it was purchased in Feb '07.I dont need huge rent as I already own the site and a further investment of say €400,000 could be financed by a rent roll of 30 to 40k.But to be able to get the finance I need to have somebody signed up for the ground floor.The first floor rent would be a bonus.

You're very welcome Helmaria, but a word of caution.

Several people are saying that the world economy is recovering too quickly.
If so, this fact and the anticipated severe budget this year will probably dampen activity in all sectors.

So I'm not advocating a build per se, except as a last resort, unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket.
Even so, its use, use, use and location, location, location.

That being said, coming to the market with drawings of a scheme that's ready to go to site will appeal better to someone who's interested, as opposed to showing them a derelict building with neither permission nor fire cert..

I have to say I'd also be tempted, after achieving the planning and fire cert approvals, to invest around 5K or so on getting a virtual or real model done and promoting a good 3D presentation-in-context to the market.

Modelworks have done good work for me in the past and I'd happily recommend them again.

http://www.modelworks.ie/

FWIW

ONQ.

Local businesses are the best place to start with your search as they know the area and its potential best

Thanks again (this is a great website).It'll have to be tennant signed up first before I'd be able too build.I still need a list of retailers who may be interested,do you know where I could find such a list.As mghchilli says I'll start with local businesses but nationally I would find it difficult.

The symbol groups (Spar, Londis etc.) are all franchised AFAIK but they might be able to put you in contact with a franchisee in the area that is interested in expanding into the right premises. Contact the area managers of these groups and sure the worst they can say is go away.

Bigger retailers like Tesco have their own property departments who will say yes or no to a site pretty quickly, but I think their preference is to buy the site and build themselves.

Thanks again (this is a great website).It'll have to be tennant signed up first before I'd be able too build.I still need a list of retailers who may be interested,do you know where I could find such a list.As mghchilli says I'll start with local businesses but nationally I would find it difficult.

In terms of local businesses I suggest:

the local Chamber of Commerce
the local Enterprise Board
the Yellow Pages

Invest in a copy of Business and Finance Top 1000 Companies 2009.

FWIW

ONQ.

Back