2 bed offer in Marrsfield, OMV and clawback issues

N

newcarneeded

I have some observations related to the affordable housing scheme and the Marrsfield and Station Pt developments in Clongriffin. Marrsfield is in the scheme, Station Point isn't I don't think. However it's a very closeby development and I would really value people's opinions on the following.

The open market price of 2 beds in both developments
Both Marrsfield and Station Point developments are in the Clongriffin area and are approximately 5 minutes walk from each other. For 2 bed apartments the Daft market values are €380k for Marrsfield and €310k for Station Point. That's a sizeable difference of €70k for the same size unit (2 beds) which are so close together.

Station Point prices have fallen in the past year
2minutes research on Google yields an Irish Times article dated June 7, 2007 showing that Station Point 2 beds were priced at €350k on that date. The developer presumably wasn't selling (any/enough) units in Station Point at that price and one year on cut it by €40k or 11% to €310k to stimulate demand. I don't know if Station Point are selling at this price and with the national economy now being in recession (according to the ESRI), forecasts of a return to net emigration and most commentators anticipating sizeable job losses in construction following the August builders holidays, they may need to cut the price farther to sell.

Probability of a cut in Marrsfield price in light of Station Point cut
Now Marrsfield, which at €380k is already €30k over what Station Point was priced at 12 months ago when the market was pretty much at it's height, is priced at a hefty premium of €70k or 22% to what Station Point is now selling for. Presumably this developer will have to cut prices to stimulate demand also as I fail to see why anyone would pay a €70k premium for Marrsfield over Station Point prices for the same size unit. (Additionally Station Point 3 beds are also cheaper at €355k for 93sq m versus €380k for a 65.9 sq m Marrsfield 2 bed. To me this would appear to be compelling evidence that Marrsfield is overpriced if a Station Point unit with 40% more floor space is selling at a €25k or 7% discount).

'Real' social and affordable housing discount
The social and afforable housing price for a 2bed in Marrsfield is €270k. This is a nominal €110k or 30% discount on the advertised price of €380k, but a mere 13% or €40k below the Station Point units. I think that Marrsfield are overpriced at €380k, that the €310k Station Point open market value is a better indicator of what the real value is, and as such, the council are only offering a discount of 13% in real terms.

Would you take the offer given the circumstances outlined above
Assuming that Marrsfield should be priced approximately equal to Station Point units, considering they are so close together and basically equal in size, is the council discount of 13% (assuming Marrsfield ought to be priced equal to Station Point open market value) really offering what ought to be expected in the spirit of the social and affordable housing scheme? With that low level of discount, the possibility of continuing house price deflation in the current economic environment, rising interest rates and unemployment, would you exercise the option?

Were values to decrease by a furhter 10% or greater in the near future
I am worried that even the Station Point units remain overpriced in the current environment and a further cut of 10% or greater in the next 12 months is not entirely unfeasible. Assuming this 10% cut did happen these 2 beds would then be selling for €279k. If prices fell by 13% then the open market value would equal the social and affordable housing offer of €270k. If it fell by greater than 13% then I would be in negative equity. That's a very real prospect in the current economic environment in my opinion, and it also ignores solicitor costs, valuers fees etc.

Personal Circumstances
My own personal circumstances are that i am living at home, mid 20's with no children. I would be stretching myself to buy, and it would be painful in the short term. I would hope to rent out a room but this income might not materialise given the recession, loss of construction jobs, increasing unemployment and not least the supply of rooms for would be renters would likely outstrip demand given the sheer number of apartments going up in the area.

Probably one and only chance at the scheme:
Given my occupation I ought to see good salary increases in the next 18months or so such that after the tax year 2009 I may cease to be eligible for the scheme as hopefully my gross earnings would go above €55k ceiling. Caveat - if the economy continues in recession I may not have a job never mind that €55k salary I aspire to.

Therefore this may be my one and only opportunity to buy under the affordable housing scheme.

What would be your own opinion on whether to go for it or not based on the information above?

And finally:
Please don't take me up the wrong way, I am not ungrateful, I think that it's a good scheme, I'm very happy to have been offered a unit but my issue is that in the current climate whereby the unit I have been offered was valued at the peak of the market, consequently it doesn't appear to be at much of a discount to the market value when you look at similar properties on the open market in the area, the clawback appears to be set against an artifically high price and the prospect of negative equity appears to be all too real.

Hi newcarneeded

You've put your situation very clearly and thoughfully together.

My immediate reaction is that you really need to think long and hard about this offer. It's your own decision at the end of the day and I wish you well with it.

Have you considered waiting until, say, next spring? You will have acculumated more savings and had a salary increase at that stage. Would you consider buying Station Point on the open market then, and thus avoiding all the terms, conditions and restrictions of an affordable property? Also, at that time you could then gauge value for money more accurately.

Also, can you discuss this situation with any contacts you might have who are knowledgeable about property, friends of friends, parents friends etc?

Finally, have you seen www.thepropertypin.com site? Worth checking out!

Good luck!

i was offered a 1 bed in marrsfield a few days ago. however when i researched further i see the area has "anti social problems", delay in dart station development and probable suspension of bus service due to vandalism etc. so this will be the reason i'll be turning this offer down. im dissapointed as i was hoping to get an apartment asap, remember to do research into the area.

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't aware of anti social behaviour in the area, have you any idea what it is? Are buses/cars/properties being interfered with?

Another reason not to go for it I think.

I haven't heard anything back from the council regarding a viewing or seen what the clawback is going to be but my gut feeling is that i'll turn it down and wait and see what happens over the next few years.

Do you think the Council would be willing to keep the offer opened for 9 months or so, and then you would be able to see how the market develops??

I was just reading your post and feel a few issues mentioned need to be cleared up. First of all the DARt station is currently under construction with a completition date of 2009. There were delays on it, that is true, but things have since moved on. In relation to the bus 128, the route is not being suspended. There were inital teething problems with the route, youngster were throwing things as the bus as well as others using the route, but these have since been rectified as a result of the local Gardai internvention, TD's, resident assocaiations and the developers. The bus is now up and running and stops inside Clongriffin. There are no anti-social problems with the residents in the area, all are hard working decent people with pride in their estate. I cannot speak for renters. There have been incidents with people from further afield coming to the area and acting like idiots, however, their are very strong residents associations at work, again in co-operation with the Gardai and the developers, to get rid such people. To be fair, most new developments have some level of anti-social behaviour to begin with, I know Belmayne and other developments in the area have also experienced some. However, how it is handled is the key to the success of the area and as the development receives more and more residents these kids are less inclined to hang around as there are too many witnesses to their actions. Always a disincentive. While I can't speak about the some of the apartments in Station point I can say that the 1bed, 1beds + study and the 2 beds have not dropped in price since Jun07, perhaps the duplexes have. I have actually bought one of these and at the recent launch they were being sold for exactly what I paid, so so if not all are holding their value with the current housing downturn.

Having looked at Marrsfield initally I decided against it because the road down to Clongriffin town centre seems a few years off, which means residents need to walk down the Hole in the Wall road to get the bus or the train when it is finally finished. The estate agents advised that they priced their apts higher to begin with as they felt they were more exclusive & felt that being away from the town centre was something you should pay more for. Take from that what you will!

Back