13 weeks - requalify or continue old claim?

Jano

Hi! I have read similar threads but they don't quite answer my query. My husband was signing on for Jobseeker's Benefit for 6 months, and has now got 25 weeks work. As it's less than 26 weeks, when he finishes this seasonal work it won't be a new claim. Under this linked claim will he only be entitled to sign for the remainder of his 9 months of which 3 would be left, or will the fact that he has over 13 weeks worked mean that he has the possibility to sign for 9 months again from scratch? He is hoping to get a JobBridge internship if no work turns up for him and unfortunately would only have 77 days and not the 78 required for this if the claim ends after the remaining 3 months of his linked claim. Thanks in advance :)

I got an answer from SW today, although it took three people in the office to figure it out! The answer is it IS a linked claim if he finishes within 26 weeks as he had signed on before starting this contract for less than 156 days. He has 86 days left on his credits to claim so it will be tight for an internship but not impossible at least as he will be able to cover the 78 day signing on qualification rule. His 13 weeks would have allowed him to start his claim from scratch for 9 months but only if his contract extended past 26 weeks and became a new claim (not linked) so long as he fulfilled the 39 week rule etc in the relevant tax year (2013) or the one before (2012). Fingers crossed a real job turns up!:(

Back