10 Hour layover JFK

BillyO

I'm flying via JFK to Mexico this coming Monday. The layover in JFK is 10 hours and I was thinking about going into New York to kill some time. I arrive at 2.30PM local time and depart again at 12:45 AM

I am looking for some advice as to whether or not this is a good idea given the time needed to be at the airport for next flight as well as the time required getting out of the airport and into the city.

Looking for ideas on how to get into the city and where to spend my time as I realize I will only get to be there a very short time. Was thinking about heading to Central Park for some food and a stroll around near by before heading back.

Anyone done this type of thing in the past. Or am I best off to book into a hotel in JFK and get some rest. Would prefer to get into NYC however.

You should be able to check straight through and get boarding card for onward flight...so doable

You will need to go through security again. See here for details of wait times, check back a few times around your flight time to see what the queues are like.

There's a taxi flat rate to/from Manhattan, generally a 45-60 minute journey.

By Train - $8 to $9 and about 60mins to 90mins
- Get the skytrain to Jamaca Station, walk to Supthin subway station (2mins follow the signs) and then take the E train toward World Trade Center.
1st stop in Manhattan on the E train is 53rd & lex (you can connect with the 4, 5 or 6 trains at this stop - they travel up & down the east side of Manhattan). Use google maps to decide where you want to get off.

Car - 45mins to 75mins at 3pm
Yellow Cab - $60 plus tip - between 45mins and 75mins to midtown. Traffic is always terrible and they drive like lunatics.
Dial7 - $70 (regular car) to $90 (towncar/SUV) plus tip - I use them when I go to JFK. You can book in advance or when you land. https://www.dial7.com/index.html
Uber - depends - $50 to $90 depending on demand.

I'd recommend you head into the City as there's nothing out near JFK. For a 12.45am flight out - you'd need to be back at the Airport Terminal at about 10pm (some will say 10.30 but I like to give myself time). Traffic back on a Monday night shouldn't be bad.

When you get into New York jump onto one of the open top double decker tour buses to see as much as you can in the little time you have.
enjoy.

Back