€3000 annual non-taxed gift

bmd1001

Hi, I am not sure if i should be posting this here or in the banking section. My question is as follows. My mother wants to leave some money to my nieces (both in their twenties). As her finances stand at the moment, that amount would be over the €30,000 taxfree threshold for each of them. One way to avoid paying inheritance tax on some of this money would be to utilise the €3000 per year which can be gifted without incurring tax. However, my mother feels that if they are given money in this way they are more likely to "squander" annual amounts of €3000 whereas if they inherit a larger lumpsum when she dies they might be more inclined to use it productively towards something like a deposit on a house for example. Therefore, she doesn't really want them to know about the €3,000 a year. Is it possible for her to open a savings account (bank, post office or credit union) for each of them without their knowledge to be used purely for lodging €3,000 per annum? (i suspect not with all the fraud/money laundering hoops that have to be jumped and forms that have to be filled). If this is not possible can anybody see any other solution? I had even thought of prize bonds but from memory i think even if they are a gift, the person whose name they are going to be in has to sign the application form!

Short answer is no. However she could set up a long term fund in their names (not without their knowledge) where early withdrawals would attract a penalty. AFAIK a gift must involve a transfer of funds to the receiver in order to qualify under the annual exemption. If they don't know about it, I can't see how it would qualify!

Thanks 44brendan. Yep, i did suggest Post Office savings bonds to her but again knew they would have to fill in forms for these and would therefore be aware of them. This does look like the best option if they have to be aware of the gifts!

Either way, your mother will not have any say in how it is used. Even if she gave them the money in a lump sum, now or in her will, they could decide to spend it on an expensive car, or a trip around the world.

I know your mother wants the best for them but if it would hurt her feelings that the money was "squandered", she is best just leave them the money in her will, and not feel responsible for the tax, or what they do with it.

Back