€25k pa job - Is it worth it?

here is a case in point for a stringent examination of the Irish Welfare System that someone can profit from staying on benefits rather than take a job for €25,000 - more than most people coming out of a degree course would get when finishing college....Ridiculous

I dont mean this as a slight at the OP but rather at the system that is in place.

here is a case in point for a stringent examination of the Irish Welfare System that someone can profit from staying on benefits rather than take a job for €25,000 - more than most people coming out of a degree course would get when finishing college....Ridiculous

I dont mean this as a slight at the OP but rather at the system that is in place.

But is this the case here? One must first prove that there is an actual drop in income. From the thread, it does not appear that they would be financially better off not working. There are a lot of incentives in place for people to go back to work already, such as the Back to Work Scheme, FIS, retention of scondary benefits such as medical cards.

But is this the case here? One must first prove that there is an actual drop in income. From the thread, it does not appear that they would be financially better off not working.

Correct. If redstar's detailed post is correct, then there is actually no drop of income, but a rise of €150pw (well, €80pw at most considering travel expenses).
I am glad to admit that i misunderstood (by ref to my OP) how the JA calculations were done.
Thanks to all contributors.

Correct they are entitlements once you are looking for work or when no work exists.
However they become handouts once you actively decide to reject work and go on social welfare.

I think i will have to half agree with that. Being a jobseeker does not mean you have to accept any job at any cost.

when your already in a job its usually easier to get another one, plus your children would also see that its important to go out and make the effort. Whos to say that maybe if she takes this job, there could be another job just around the corner with better financial stakes, but then she could then leave the first job for the second.

I think i will have to half agree with that. Being a jobseeker does not mean you have to accept any job at any cost.

Agree with you there.

I have seen both sides of it. Both my friend and I were made redundant at the same time last year. I got a job straight away and she didnt. I hated where I went and it seriously had an effect on my overall health and well being. However, I started looking after 2 months and had a job after 4 months. I hated the place so much though that I was ready to give it up and go on unemployement until I found something that suited. I do think that it is easier to get a job from a job though.

My friend was the opposite - she was out of work from June to end February and at the end said she was prepared to work for a low wage - €24K, just to keep sane. Luck prevailed at the end of the day and she got something in her salary bracket.

Back