€150,000 to get rid of a drug-convicted criminal

S

S.L.F

I was appalled when I read that our govt paid €150,000 to deport a man convicted of drug offences read all about it [broken link removed].

That particular character has cost us 4 years in jail which works out at
Every week is €1000 X 52 X 4 which cost about €208,000 plus court costs.

Since they deal with drugs anyway why is it not possible to sedate them and shove them onto a plane.

And what about this guy? I'll never understand why he was let into the country let alone allowed to remain here for 2 years.

Yeah - surely we could just sweep people with serious mental health problems under some carpet or other... :rolleyes:

Yeah - surely we could just sweep people with serious mental health problems under some carpet or other... :rolleyes:

Can you explain why he shouldn't have been deported back to Italy, given that THEY chose to grant him asylum, not Ireland? He should be their problem, not ours.

It's not the fact that he committed crime and has to pay for it it is the cost to deport a man from Ireland to Ghana.

Since the cost of flights to Ghana is now about £499 I really don't see how it can cost so much.

Why couldn't they just have said to him "if we give you €10,000 will you go and not come back"?

I really believe if someone is convicted of drug related crimes the authorities should have no qualms about sedating them drugs till they are out of the country, against their will if necessary.

€150,000...My god what we could do with that money

I really believe if someone is convicted of drug related crimes the authorities should have no qualms about sedating them drugs till they are out of the country, against their will if necessary.
I was thinking about this too, but I'm not sure that the Hollywood-like magic injection is realistic. They would probably need an anaesthetist and a hospital-like environment to sedate him.

How about a Hannibal Lecter-style strapping to a trolley, complete with hockey mask etc?

I was thinking about this too, but I'm not sure that the Hollywood-like magic injection is realistic. They would probably need an anaesthetist and a hospital-like environment to sedate him.

How about a Hannibal Lecter-style strapping to a trolley, complete with hockey mask etc?

Since we are delving into films for solutions how about we get employ this "man" to deal with the issue.

These people have to regard for anybody but themselves, they have no problem with other people using drugs so why should they have a problem with a big burly prison guard sticking a needle into their arm.

Unfortunatley its not that extraordinary though is it?
If the Dept of Justice had had their act together they could have arranged the deportation via Frontex and it wouldn't have cost us.

Has any group attempted to put a monetory value on what illegal drugs cost the state taking into consideration everything from deportation costs down to lost work days and to include theft, medical and pyschiatric care, imprisonment, care and welfare of addicts and their immediate family and so on. Not to forget the negative impact of that individual within their community.

Ultimately, if we presume this mule was bringing drugs here via an airport they were probabley for use by Irish users, it along with all of the above then becomes our problem.

OT, but related, what about this rapist (and murderer?) guy who is getting a heart operation whilst other law abiding citizens wait.

Considered by some to be the most dangerous inmate in the country.

doctor defended the by-pass op on the radio last night by saying they had a hippocratic oath to do all they can to save people. Matt Cooper should have asked him did this apply to aptients who can wait up to 6 months on a hospital list but get seen to within a week once the patient goes private or the NTPF get involved.

We are going bust in this country but yet we are able to appoint 4 new high court judges solely to deal with asylum cases. And this depite the fact that over 90% of asylum seekers get turned down initially.
But what do you expect when we have politicians like brass necked beverley- everyone is grabbing at the cash and the PAYE worker (or whats left of us) picks up the tab for those at both extremes of society

Back