€1000 fine for prov drivers after 1st July - is this correct?

briancbyrne

Hi,
I heard from someone today in work that the fine for prov licence holders driving unaccompanied from July 1st is €1000 - is this correct?

Do other posters think this is enforceable given the volume of said drivers on the road.
Also is the fine reflective of the crime? I recently spend some time in court as a witness and was amazed that many public order offences and drug related crime was dealt with via a fine quite a bit under €1000.

Doesn't the rule apply to 2nd (or further - if even possible any more?) provisional license holders only?

If there's a fine for a provisional driver driving unaccompanied, then presumably this should apply to all provisional drivers since all provisional drivers should be accompanied post 01/07.

Do other posters think this is enforceable given the volume of said drivers on the road.

Nope, just like mobile phones and illegal number plates. I can see examples of both by just looking out the window for a couple of mins. But think of the joy of 1/4 of all cars being off the road.:rolleyes:

Doesn't the rule apply to 2nd (or further - if even possible any more?) provisional license holders only?

No, with the new Learner Permits you are never allowed drive unaccompanied. Which means you need to be accompanied if bringing your own car to a test centre.

Seems like it could be a nice money spinner for our government now that the VAT and taxes from the building bubble is vanishing ;)

People have had plenty of warning, waiting times are down so there shouldn't be that many people left on provisional other than those actually learning to drive. Plus how well enforced will it be anyway.

Post 01/07/08 it applies to all provisional/learners.

Fine is doubled if L plates are not displayed btw.

My info. is that this will be enforced too. Evenly and continuously.

Back