new heating

flatwallet

Hi everyone
I’m new to this building game but my question is. We are building a new house now we have our hotpress in a basement and are looking to put a stove on the ground floor but our plumber says this wont work. He says we need to have natural circulation. Our complete heating system is sealed so can we get a stove to link into this. Can anyone help
best regards Flawallet

see this thread
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=94202

You will find numerous other threads here on that subject.

You can

a. still put a stove in but have no link to the your heating system.

b. Fit a buffer/thermal store tank higher up than the stove and your sealed system can then take heat from that by heat exchanger. The reason it is not done that much is that it is relatively costly and a little bit of thought has to go into the design of the radiator piping system to tap into this heat.
see page 10 of this document for how it's done.
www.heatweb.com/Wood/Wood%20and%20Heat%20Banks.pdf

Hello.
I have one of these stoves in my house and it heats 14 rads ufh all hot water. We have a gas condensing boiler also and we use this purely as a back up. With this stove you can regulate and control the heat as you want. This is connected directly to a cylinder no buffers or heat exchangers nothing. Its pressurised also so its a dream for plumbers no messing trying to have natural circulation.
Best regards Gregor

[broken link removed]#

Hello.
I have one of these stoves in my house and it heats 14 rads ufh all hot water. We have a gas condensing boiler also and we use this purely as a back up. With this stove you can regulate and control the heat as you want. This is connected directly to a cylinder no buffers or heat exchangers nothing. Its pressurised also so its a dream for plumbers no messing trying to have natural circulation.
Best regards Gregor

[broken link removed]#

If you are connected to Estherm I would like to get more tech details on the product. I had a look at the information on the website and couldn't get any real detail.

What is the heat requirement (BTU/KW output) of your home?

How much fuel do you burn?

Can you burn high temp fuel? coal etc

Have you a battery back up?

What happens when power failure occurs? besides the fan shutting down restricting combustion?

what safety features are built in to stove?

Is your stove fully pumped to cylinder?

Gregor how much electricity does the turbo stove use i.e for the fan/pump etc.Did you notice any massive increase in electicity bill with it running.

If you are connected to Estherm I would like to get more tech details on the product. I had a look at the information on the website and couldn't get any real detail.

What is the heat requirement (BTU/KW output) of your home?

How much fuel do you burn?

Can you burn high temp fuel? coal etc

Have you a battery back up?

What happens when power failure occurs? besides the fan shutting down restricting combustion?

what safety features are built in to stove?

Is your stove fully pumped to cylinder?

The heat requirement is about 13KW but I have an 18KW Installed.
last year 18kW was the smallest.( now 8/10/12/18/24/32)

We burn approximatly 1/2 bag of logs and a bale of briquetts for about 14 hours burning or 1 euro palet:)

Yes you can burn coal the problem is when the fan cuts off its inclined to soot up the stove, its best to burn logs turf , heatlogs.

No I havent a battery back up but you can get one no problem.

When you loose power the fan shuts down and the stoves starts to cool after about 45 mins as you have no draught.

There is an open vented water shell around the stove and the pressurised side has a 3 bar safety valve as any system would. even if the stove on the open side boils for any reason the pressurised side is still working taking the heat away and with no cavitation very important.

Yes the stove is fully pumped to a 300l cylinder with solar also.

Best regards
Gregor

The fan uses 41W at 100% rotarion but the fan never runs over 30% rotation so i guess about 15W. I didnt notice any differance with the ESB bill. The fan is modulating, and its not running continuously.
Gregor

The heat requirement is about 13KW but I have an 18KW Installed.
last year 18kW was the smallest.( now 8/10/12/18/24/32)

There is an open vented water shell around the stove and the pressurised side has a 3 bar safety valve as any system would. even if the stove on the open side boils for any reason the pressurised side is still working taking the heat away and with no cavitation very important.

Best regards
Gregor

Thank you for the information. A couple more questions if you don't mind.

You have 14 radiators, UFH and a 300L cylinder and yet you say your heating requirement is only 13KW, 13KW = about 44,400 BTU. Very low in my opinion. Does the stove meet all your heating and hot water requirements? or does it back up the condenser gas boiler?

How does the open shell vent? and what feeds this shell and enable it to expand?

No Davy its plenty the house is timber frame and very well insulated.

It does everything no bother whatsoever. the gas boiler is a back up we havent used a large bottle of gas in 1 year.

The open shell is is fed by a stainless steel hedder tank. In the event of overheat the hot water expands into this tank and overflows and then in turn the tank sends in cold water into the shell to help cool it down. The float on the ballcock in the small tank is made from high temp resistant plastic.
Gregor

When we bought our house it had electric UFH and the cost involved in running that was huge. our neighbours still have this form of heating and their ESB is around €400 and now ours is €85
Gregor

The open shell is is fed by a stainless steel hedder tank. In the event of overheat the hot water expands into this tank and overflows and then in turn the tank sends in cold water into the shell to help cool it down. The float on the ballcock in the small tank is made from high temp resistant plastic.
Gregor

Again, thank you for the information, I am beginning to understand the product.

Where is this S/S fed and expansion tank located? what is the required distance from appliance?

When we bought our house it had electric UFH and the cost involved in running that was huge. our neighbours still have this form of heating and their ESB is around €400 and now ours is €85
Gregor

Did you change it to a wet UFH system?
Or
Is the stove heating 14 radiators instead of UFH?
or
The UFH was wet and run by a heat pump?

Yes i changed part of it to wet ufh part of kitchen bathroom, ensuite and wc with shower . The ufh was electric done with cables. The tank can be set just above the stove or to a maximum distance of 5mtrs. If you look at the pictures you will see the S/S tank just over the stove.

[broken link removed]

Very interesting.
nice TV, btw.

Are the two pumps controlling two different zones?
How much was purchase and installation?

Thanks
1 Pump is controlling the CH and the other is for hot water.
Purchase and installation approx €4000.

Very nice Grgor. Just 1 question. How do you fix the stove if it breaks seeing as it is totally enclosed?????

Back