Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > General Financial Issues > Money makeover

Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Default need advice in debt very bad with money

Ok Im in my 30s now and I need to cop on and get better with dealing with my money I dont own a car or a house so I have no outlays there I also have no dependants I pay 260 plus bills on rent every month I earn 30k which will go up to 40k withhin the next when I go on shift. I have a 10k student loan I have been paying off at 280 a month since august at 280 a month which also includes 3k interest so 13k in total. I have also maxed out on my credit card of 2500 euro but at least I dont start paying any interest on that till the end of febuary 09. I also have an overdraft of 1000 euro on my current account which has also been used up so basically when I get pisd every 2 weeks this is used about toped up and my current account is beakeven so I am actually living on my overdraft. I am very aflouent with money especially at the weekends I eat out alot and go driniking with my friends alot and basically buy what I want with no budget.My situation is probably very fixable but I am just so bad with my fiances.Any advice?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Default Re: need advice in debt very bad with money

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanveron45 View Post
I am very aflouent with money especially at the weekends I eat out alot and go driniking with my friends alot and basically buy what I want with no budget..Any advice?
I think you should pay attention to the above.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned

Ok its pretty clear what I should do I get about 2000 euro into my hand every month I should be able to live on 1000 euro a month as I have no mortgage car dependants. I will use the other 1000 euro to pay off my debts
Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

Cut out the pub or at least reduce. Drink pints instead of shots.

Keep a log of every penny spent for a month and you will probaly notice you spend money on "things" you don't need.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Frequent Poster

Get married and then she will take it off you before you have a chance to spend it :-)
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Frequent Poster

Maybe you should be putting 500 a month aside for a house deposit ? You should put it in a high yield term deposit account that you don't have easy access to.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Frequent Poster

Clear the credit card as soon as possible. Don't wait for Feb 2009 to start. Ring the company and set the direct debit at 10-15% per month. That will at least take care of the payment every month and if its gone from your current account you can't spend it in the pub.
Put €200 a month aside in to a savings account and then pay off the overdraft in 5 months. When you have the €1K saved ask the bank to reduce the overdraft to €100 which will mean you have a buffer but not the temptation.
When the overdraft is gone and you are comfortable with the credit card direct debit, redirect the €200 a month toward the loan. Ring the bank and change the term of your loan to €480 a month so you can clear this faster. That should knock years off the loan.
The less you have in your account on a saturday night, the less you have to spend.