A bit dodgy?

slookie

Was on carzone 2 weeks ago and came across a 06 Rav 4 going cheap. i e mailed the guy and asked him was it a misprint or a genuine price. This is reply i got today....

Hello,
First of all, I must apologise for the delay in response, but I'm literally overwhelmed by the amount of interest.
Secondly, I have recently relocated to Germany for business. The car is here as well.
Thirdly, I can and will arrange transportation to Ireland. As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. But since it's a right hand drive car, not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still Irish reg did not help either. Genuine reason for sale: my business didn't work out the way I planned. Due to amount involved, I only accept bank transfers or third party transaction mediator. I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle. The car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition. I am willing to let the 2006 Toyota Rav4 go for €14.800 EUR.
Please get back to me and let me know if you wish to proceed on this basis.
Have a lovely day.

presume this is a no reply job...

Absolutely steer clear - it's a similar con to the one in this recent thread "Online Car Scam"

I replied and asked him who wouldpay to get the car here to tipp....Reply...

As I told you in my previous e-mail I have moved abroad. The car is here with me in Deutschland. I am aware that this might be a problem, but I took some measures.I have managed to obtain a low cost shipping, only €600 and I presume it would be fair to split the shipping cost so, we'll pay €300 each.
The car will be delivered at your door and you will have 7 days to inspect it.
For a more secure deal I think that an Escrow Company will offer both shipping and security. Please let me know if you are interested in going further and I will let you know more about how this works.

Think its starting to sound ok...

And then he will ask you to forward your money through a 3rd party agent most likely Western Union and you will lose a lot more than your €300.
Did he also advise you about his wealthy Sister who was left €600 million in a will and you can have half if you let them transfer it to your account etc etc.......

Hello,
First of all, I must apologise for the delay in response, but I'm literally overwhelmed by the amount of interest.
Secondly, I have recently relocated to Germany for business.

and stop reading, that's enough to tell you it's a scam

There was another one posted on Donedeal last night. 06 Audi, less than 5K. I emailed him for the correct price and he replied that it was correct price, he lived in USA, had bought car for his brother in Ireland, brother moved to UK and died. Car was in Liverpool, etc etc. Not a nice thing to say about his brother eh!

Latest e mail from him........

Hi again,

As previously stated, due to the size of this transaction, I suggest using the security provided by www.iloxx.de.
I will cover the escrow fees. Since I presume you are not familiar with the escrow procedure, I have briefly described the transaction steps below:

1. Buyer, seller reach an agreement (price and delivery conditions)
2. Buyer sends money to escrow.
3. iloxx confirms to seller that the amount has been received.
4. Seller performs the required services (shipping, insurance) via escrow.
5. Buyer receives the goods.
6. If the goods comply with buyer's conditions, iloxx releases the money to seller.

As you can see, you will receive the car BEFORE any money is released to me. You will get the chance to inspect it, test drive it and everything you like while your money is still safely held in iloxx account. ONLY after you confirm to escorw that you agree with the vehicle, they will release the money to me.
If, for some reason, you disagree with the car (I assure you that is NOT going to happen since my car is in IMMACULATE condition inside and out) it will be shipped back to me on MY EXPENSE and iloxx will send you your money back.
If you wish to proceed further, I will need your complete name and address so I can set up the transaction. I will handle the rest.

Let me know if we can get things moving.
Regards

slookie, stop posting the latest emails. Like you were told earlier, it's a scam. Presumably you suspected this yourself, hence your original enquiry.

There was another one posted on Donedeal last night. 06 Audi, less than 5K. I emailed him for the correct price and he replied that it was correct price, he lived in USA, had bought car for his brother in Ireland, brother moved to UK and died. Car was in Liverpool, etc etc. Not a nice thing to say about his brother eh!

I came across a few of these and even contacted one once, but straight away figured it was a scam. He told me the car was in the UK and I could pay a shipping agent and check out the car for 5 days etc etc. I replied and pretended to be very interested and would pay cash for the car as I would be in the UK the following day on business ( all lies )- I told him it would be cheaper for me to pay the cash and get the ferry home, his replies were nonsensical, with just a twist on the original with very bad grammar. So a the next day I emailed him and said I was in Liverpool and was finished my "meeting" and would be in the UK for the next 24hrs. - No further replies.

I let the owners of Donedeal know about the particular ads and they were very quick to investigate and delete them.

I bet there are folks out there though who have got stung
Roro.

Back