Dog mistreated: Neighbour's large dog being kept in small garden with no exercize.

within29

Hi
My neighbours have kept a large dog in their small back garden for the last 3 yrs.

It has never been taken for a walk & has recently been penned in further.

It used to cry but now it runs after its tail.

I am not a animal lover but I feel so much for this animal & I am guilty for waiting so long to do anything.

Please advise.

Re: Dog mistreated

Hi
My neighbours have kept a large dog in their small back garden for the last 3 yrs.
It used to cry but now it runs after its tail. I am not a animal lover but I feel so much for this animal & I am guilty for waiting so long to do anything. Please advise.

Ring up the local SPCA and report exactly what you have said here.

Hi
It used to cry but now it runs after its tail. I am not a animal lover but I feel so much for this animal & I am guilty for waiting so long to do anything. Please advise.

Ring the dspca - they will come out inspect the conditions and make a decision immediately as to the condition of the dog - sounds like the dog has developed some mental problems as they can when confined for long periods. Please ring the rspca/dspca immediately - otherwise you could try your local dog warden, he can make a routine call to the house asking for a licence, he might then be able to contact the dspca for you. (If you don't want to report them yourself).

no they would not

I would also ring the Garda station and ask their advice

We dont have a local warden so I rang the council. Dimwits sound like they do not know what a dog is. I'll keep trying. Rang SPCA left message.

Please persist with this - they are overworked but do get around to the calls.

We dont have a local warden so I rang the council. Dimwits sound like they do not know what a dog is. I'll keep trying. Rang SPCA left message.

If your council is anything like mine, they'll not care less.:mad:
Don't let their apathy detract from your concern.
SPCA is your best bet.

Thanks
But will they know that it was me that did it.
Maybe or maybe not. What is more important that the dog is treated properly and it doesn't sound that he is at all. It is amazing and shocking what people think is sufficient care for a dog (or any animal). You could hopefully live with them knowing that "you did it" but the dog can't change its conditions by itself.

I keep dogs myself and stories like this are all too common and sicken me. If you want to PM the details to me, I will happily report it for you to the relevant authority - then they can't possibly find out it was you who reported them.

I keep dogs myself and stories like this are all too common and sicken me. If you want to PM the details to me, I will happily report it for you to the relevant authority - then they can't possibly find out it was you who reported them.

Fair play Rois.:)

Well done to the OP for doing something about it. This type of treatment of animals I feel is becoming all too common place and not enough is being done about it. It sickens and saddens me. I would love to put the owners in the same situation and see how they would deal with it.

Please keep us posted and let us know how you get on.

You should definitely try the SPCA in your area. I had a similar experience with a neighbours dog. Was just sitting in the back garden all day. Had no proper shelter, was never walked and looked seriously depressed. I nearly cried looking at it.

I eventually got the animal taken to a local rehoming centre, who makes sure that every animal they take in goes to a loving home.

I can sleep at night now knowing that poor dog eventually got a decent life.

Perhaps there are some local animal shelters that can help. Please don't give up trying.

OP, don't give up and fair play for trying to do something now. I was in a situation some years ago (regarding a cat) and in this case, I had to do something immediately or the cat would have been tortured and killed (wont go into all the details here).I went with my gut instincts and intervened and thankfully, the DSPCA got the cat away. I wouldnt have been able to sleep at night if I hadnt done something and would do the same again now, in a heart beat.

I think it was Ghandi who said that you can judge the state of a nation by how it treats it's animals. God help us so, if that's the case.

Definitely ring and report it. To be honest I've heard that once a dog has water, food and shelter then nothing will be done. (Unless there are signs of cruelty). I am an animal lover and I rescued my dog. He's part of the family. In front of the open fire is his favourite spot! :) It baffles me why people get dogs and then keep them outside 24/7. Dogs are social animals and love company.

animal abuse

Hi

I posted a thread recently about my neighbours dog who in my opinion is being mistreated. After finally finding the correct person to talk to they told me that there was nothing he could do. My question is there anything else I can do?

Re: animal abuse

Hi

I posted a thread recently about my neighbours dog who in my opinion
is being mistreated. After finally finding the correct person to talk to they told me that there was nothing he could do. My question is there anything else I can do?
Who was the `correct person`you mention? was it SPCA official?

Could you give a little more info, who was the 'correct' person to talk to, what did they say, why is there nothing they can do?

Was it the DSPCA you contacted?

Why does the person have the animal? (I'm loathed to use the term pet in this instance)

Is it for security? If not, then I don't really see any other reason if it is mistreated, so would you consider approaching them and buying the dog or asking could you take the dog off the owners hands? You could then bring to a shelter...

Back