Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > General Financial Issues > Property investment and tenants' rights

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Raul Raul is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Problem with unregistered landlord

Hi,
My girlfriend is having trouble with her current landlord. He is not registered as a landlord and therefore no lease is signed.

He asked one of them to move out 3 weeks ago because he needed somewhere to stay but both her and her housemate decided to move out because they are not too keen on living with him.

He had been paying them rent relief himself but is now refusing to pay it for the last 10 months (he last paid in November 2007 for the previous year).

She has found a place now also and is moving out a week earlier than she is paid up until.

He won't give her this last week rent back though even though he forced one of them to move out. He initially told the other girl that he would give her the money back if she moved out early but is now claiming she misunderstood him.

I think my girlfriend should tell him that she is going to seek advice from Revenue and the PTRB unless he pays both the rent relief and give her the last weeks rent back.

Is this the right avenue to go down?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 PM
j26 j26 is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,091
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Yep,

She still has all the reliefs available from the PRTB, despite the fact that he's not registered. The thing is it takes quite a while going through the PRTB, so the Revenue threat may be much more powerful.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Raul Raul is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

I think we will threaten him with both just to be sure Thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 AM
niceoneted niceoneted is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,898
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

And report him too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Towger Towger is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Manticore
Posts: 2,148
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceoneted View Post
And report him too.
Do dont need to report him, you just claim rent relief from Revenue. They dont need his PPS number, just give is Name, Address and the address of the house etc. They should be able to put 2 & 2 together.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM
ubiquitous ubiquitous is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,800
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
He had been paying them rent relief himself but is now refusing to pay it for the last 10 months (he last paid in November 2007 for the previous year).
Hopefully the Revenue won't then ask your girlfriend why she aided and abetted her landlord's apparent tax evasion by accepting a bribe from him in lieu of claiming rent relief.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
rmelly rmelly is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: d'intherweb
Posts: 16
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towger View Post
Do dont need to report him, you just claim rent relief from Revenue. They done need his PPS number, just give is Name, Address and the address of the house etc. They should be able to put 2 & 2 together.
I don't see any reason NOT to report him - based on the info supplied he has mistreated the friend. What do you have against reporting him? Why allow him a possibility of getting away with it?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Raul Raul is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
Hopefully the Revenue won't then ask your girlfriend why she aided and abetted her landlord's apparent tax evasion by accepting a bribe from him in lieu of claiming rent relief.
That's a bit of a dirty dig isn't it? You telling me most people wouldn't do the same?

Thanks to all the others who replied with helpful answers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Raul Raul is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelly View Post
I don't see any reason NOT to report him - based on the info supplied he has mistreated the friend. What do you have against reporting him? Why allow him a possibility of getting away with it?
The main reason is she doesn't really want to hassle or aggro but doesn't want to be ripped off either. I would be inclined to do what you are suggesting though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:05 PM
ubiquitous ubiquitous is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,800
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
That's a bit of a dirty dig isn't it??? You telling me most people wouldn't do the same?
Maybe they would. That's not the point. Your girlfriend has benefitted financially by facilitating and colluding in her landlord's tax evasion. In my book, that's fraud. Hopefully the Revenue won't raise these issues with her when she makes her report.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:20 PM
sam h sam h is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,253
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous
Hopefully the Revenue won't then ask your girlfriend why she aided and abetted her landlord's apparent tax evasion by accepting a bribe from him in lieu of claiming rent relief.

That's a bit of a dirty dig isn't it??? You telling me most people wouldn't do the same?
I don't think this was ment as a dig....there is a risk that revenue will not look too favourably on her as she obviously knew she was entitled to rent relief and yet allowed the landlord to sort this out directly with her. It is something to bear in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Raul Raul is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam h View Post
I don't think this was ment as a dig....there is a risk that revenue will not look too favourably on her as she obviously knew she was entitled to rent relief and yet allowed the landlord to sort this out directly with her. It is something to bear in mind.
Ok sorry I thought it was a dig at her. Yep will keep in mind so. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2008, 08:42 AM
RentDayBlues RentDayBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Posts: 28
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

How exactly will the Revenue know she accepted the cash? They wont! So she can now report him and claim back tax relief for the years she lived there. Unless there is a financial trail to show that she received this money from the LL, she's laughing.

Not exactly the most honest policy but every cloud has a silver lining
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 AM
z103 z103 is offline
Banned
 
Posts: 849
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Maybe they would. That's not the point. Your girlfriend has benefitted financially by facilitating and colluding in her landlord's tax evasion. In my book, that's fraud. Hopefully the Revenue won't raise these issues with her when she makes her report.
How does the OP's girlfriend know that the landlord is evading tax?
Even if she did know for certain, so what? Is she under any obligation to inform the revenue?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM
ubiquitous ubiquitous is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,800
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RentDayBlues View Post
How exactly will the Revenue know she accepted the cash? They wont! So she can now report him and claim back tax relief for the years she lived there. Unless there is a financial trail to show that she received this money from the LL, she's laughing.

Not exactly the most honest policy but every cloud has a silver lining
If the landlord is able to tell the Revenue that the tenant hasn't claimed rent relief for past years, and this is verified when the Revenue examine the tenant's tax record, this may well lead them to conclude that the landlord's story is credible, and the tenant is not to be trusted.

The old moral about people in glasshouses still applies sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:26 AM
theengineer theengineer is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 187
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

call into the local citizen information office, and they will have some info for you, and yes report him.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 AM
z103 z103 is offline
Banned
 
Posts: 849
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
If the landlord is able to tell the Revenue that the tenant hasn't claimed rent relief for past years, and this is verified when the Revenue examine the tenant's tax record, this may well lead them to conclude that the landlord's story is credible, and the tenant is not to be trusted.
I rented for years, and didn't know there was such thing as 'rent relief'. I never claimed it. I'm pretty sure that there are many people out there that still do not know about it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
ubiquitous ubiquitous is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,800
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by leghorn View Post
I rented for years, and didn't know there was such thing as 'rent relief'. I never claimed it.
Yes, but how many people know that you didn't claim it, and would be in a position to cite this fact in order to support their argument in a "one person's word against another" scenario"?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
theengineer theengineer is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 187
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

The only party in trouble here in the unregistered landlord.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
z103 z103 is offline
Banned
 
Posts: 849
Default Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Quote:
Yes, but how many people know that you didn't claim it, and would be in a position to cite this fact in order to support their argument in a "one person's word against another" scenario"?
I see your point.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:58 PM.