Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > Homes and gardens

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 20-08-2008, 08:56 AM
carrotcake carrotcake is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 77
Default Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Hello, could I ask advice please...I am in the process of building my home and typically have noticed a few areas that I should have put in some velux windows but never thought of it at design stage. I mentioned it to my builder and he seems to have no problem - he said wait until house is at roof level and then you will have a better idea if you want extra veluxes in the attic (of house and garage) or not. These veluxes would be all north west facing and to the front of the house and garage. I am worrying now that perhaps I would need planning permisison for this. My builder seems to think not, he mentioned something along the lines of 'veluxes are considered skylights and thus, don't need planning permission'. Before I get my hopes up (of being able to put in more veluxes for more light in attics), I wonder would anyone know do I need planning for this or not.

Also, one other quick question: would you recommend putting water tank in attic of garage rather than house as a friend of mine who has just built a house said that was one fault she found with her newbuild - water tank is situated in attic over master bedroom and when anyone flushes toilet, she can hear the water gurgling from tank above her room! Thanks for any advice you may have.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-08-2008, 09:58 AM
sydthebeat sydthebeat is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,603
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

1. rooflights need permission. There is an 'unwritten' rule that rooflights to the rear dont need permission, most councils wouldnt follow up on this, but as i say its unwritten. Rooflights to the side and front would require permssion, but first ask whomever is certifying your build. If they will sign it off then you dont have a problem.

2. The water tank needs to be higher than all outlets it services, therefore if you have a two storey or dormer, then youd need a high garage to suit this type of arrangement. You should have enough room in any attic, even a dormer, to be able to move the location of it so its not over the bedrooms.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-08-2008, 11:11 AM
tester1 tester1 is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Meath
Posts: 299
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

You dont need planning permission for velux to the back of your house.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-08-2008, 11:21 AM
ClubMan ClubMan is offline
*********
 
Posts: 43,730
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tester1 View Post
You dont need planning permission for velux to the back of your house.
Could you cite the relevant legislation on this please?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-08-2008, 11:38 AM
sydthebeat sydthebeat is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,603
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMan View Post
Could you cite the relevant legislation on this please?
There is none.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Dachshund Dachshund is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 144
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Chekc with your local planning authority as to whether you will need planning permission.

South Dublin County Council states that planning permission is not required for Velux windows to the rear of a house. Planning permission is required for Velux windows to the front.

"Do I need planning permission to insert dormer windows or velux rooflights in the roof of my house?
Planning permission is required for ALL types of dormer windows proposed to any part of the roof of a house. Planning permission is required for velux rooflights or skylights proposed on any roofslope of a dwelling that face onto a public street. Planning permission is not required for velux rooflights or skylights proposed on the rear roofslope of a dwelling or on roofslopes that do not face onto a public street. In this case, it should be noted that the number and size of velux rooflights or skylights proposed should not dominate the roofslope - it is recommended that they do not cover more than 20% of the roof slope on which they are located."

Taken from here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-08-2008, 12:11 PM
z103 z103 is offline
Banned
 
Posts: 841
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Our friendly neighbour objected to our velux windows which were on the rear slope of our house, away from the road.
We ended up having to get retention, with total cost to us of over 500.

We actually had windows in the original plan, but the ones we installed looked slightly different.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20-08-2008, 12:35 PM
sydthebeat sydthebeat is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,603
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
Chekc with your local planning authority as to whether you will need planning permission.

South Dublin County Council states that planning permission is not required for Velux windows to the rear of a house. Planning permission is required for Velux windows to the front.

"Do I need planning permission to insert dormer windows or velux rooflights in the roof of my house?
Planning permission is required for ALL types of dormer windows proposed to any part of the roof of a house. Planning permission is required for velux rooflights or skylights proposed on any roofslope of a dwelling that face onto a public street. Planning permission is not required for velux rooflights or skylights proposed on the rear roofslope of a dwelling or on roofslopes that do not face onto a public street. In this case, it should be noted that the number and size of velux rooflights or skylights proposed should not dominate the roofslope - it is recommended that they do not cover more than 20% of the roof slope on which they are located."

Taken from here.
the problem is that this is not stated in any legal regulation.

generally councils do not have issues with rear rooflights, side and front are different issues, but thats does not mean that you dont need permission for them.

I always look at it from the worst case scenario, if i was in court because i signed off rooflights to the rear and a judge asked me to point out the legislation that allows rooflights to be exempt... i couldnt.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Dachshund Dachshund is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 144
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Technically Velux windows are not exempted development as they change the appearance of the structure, therefore they will require planning permission.

For something to be considered to be exempted development, Section 4 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 gives the definitions. Section 4(h) of the Act usually covers most domestic buildings:

"development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;"

The problem with Velux windows is that they can "materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures". This may be the reason why leghorn had to get retention for his windows even though they were at the rear of the building.

I too would apply for planning permission if I was in the OP's shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20-08-2008, 01:24 PM
MsGinger MsGinger is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 330
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post
2. The water tank needs to be higher than all outlets it services, therefore if you have a two storey or dormer, then youd need a high garage to suit this type of arrangement. You should have enough room in any attic, even a dormer, to be able to move the location of it so its not over the bedrooms.
We recently refurbished and for noise reasons put the water tank off the kitchen and away from the bedrooms. We had to put in a pump to facilitate this, but the pressure of water is now excellent and we don't have the problem of waking someone everytime a tap is run or a shower taken.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20-08-2008, 01:26 PM
sydthebeat sydthebeat is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,603
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

pumps are fine.... but a powerless system such as gravity feed is preferrable in most cases when it can be designed in.

There will always be cases of blackouts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-2008, 10:07 PM
carrotcake carrotcake is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 77
Default Re: Is planning Permission needed for velux windows?

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:58 AM.