Non-payment of wages... what recourse?

rogeroleary

Hi, my son is just finsihed 1st year in college. A fellow student asked himself and 3 others from college if they would like to work at a major concert in Dublin in early June as security. When they indicated that they would they were given a number to ring and the person told them to report at a certain time and they would be paid €10 per hour. They went along and were provided with hi vis jackets and told where to go and what to do. They were told they would be paid in 3-4 weeks time and they were happy enough with that.

About a week or so afterwards their contact was in touch again asking if they would like to work at the Oxegen concert - it would be 3 days with very long hours but this would be attractive because they could accumulate more cash so they were happy to do it. Payment would be made in the same way as concert # 1.

Problem is that in spite of arranging to meet with the person on a least six occassions they have received no payment whatsoever from either gig. Their contact is not returning any calls and it would appear that they cannot progress this. My estimate is that between the 4 of them they are owed a total of €2.5-€3k which might not sound like a lot but to 4 students it is significant......

What I was hoping for by posting here was some ideas as to the best way of progressing this. Any suggestions would be much appreiciated.

Thanks
Roger

Thanks Lexi - that did spring to mind but as I thought about it over the weekend I am pretty sure they won't follow up on issues of employment law.

Any other suggestions?

Roger

Have you tried finding out who had the security contract for the Oxegen concerts and taking it from there? Maybe the local gardai might know or I'm sure MCD would know.

Maybe calling Liveline, Local radio statios etc. might be the best way to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks for all the replies. To be honest I had thought about Liveline but would have preferred not to try to involved these young lads in publicity. Having said that.......

I might see if the company is accredited to some security association or possibly some government inspectors can be involved?

crumdub12 - I understand the point about the Labour Court and the LRC but would a Rights Commissioner be an option?

Roger

Problem is roger, even if rights commisioner fell in your favour, it would only be a recomendation, hes not a judge ....

Think legal is only logical route.

Are they a member of Irish Security Industry Association, try contacting PSA Private Security Authority to make a complaint. Would also say that money paid seem a little bit light on the JLC Rates of pay. And if all else fails NERA (National Employment Right Authority) would be worth a call. PM me if you need more info

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback - it's much appreciated!

I have been in touch with the principal contractor and their sub contractor and advised them that I will be engaging Dept of E&E, Nera, the ISA etc etc.

Right now I have a meeting arranged for tomorrow to collect the monies on behalf of the students - give their previous form this might not happen. I'll post back to let you know.

Once again, many thanks

Roger

Back