Tenants being driven away

mark71

I'm having serious problems with a buy to let property there is one set of neighbours harassing my tenants constantly they have driven away previous tenants and it looks like happening again,the house is also up for sale but no takers because of these people.If my tenants leave i will find it next to impossible to replace them.My two mortgages are with the same financial institution question is if i can't meet the payments on the buy to let house will this have any impact on my family home?We can afford the one but not two.Getting pretty worried now.

You could always let your neighbours know that if they don't leave you alone, you'll have no choice but sell the house to scum (as they are the only ones interested)

I would gladly,if Mugabe needs to get out of Zimbabwa anytime soon and needs a cheap house he 's more than welcome!

Presuming your family home has nice neighbours, couldn't you (if really desperate) move your family into the rented house and face down the scummy neighbours yourself and let your family home out? I'm making huge assumptions about size and location here so maybe not an option.

Are you satisfied that the tenants aren't the problem e.g. noise, parking etc? Does this neighbour harass the occupants of any other house?

but no takers because of these people.

Are you sure about that? Have prospective buyers or viewers ACTUALLY mentioned the neighbour as a problem? It seems strange that they should know anything about him...

You could always let your neighbours know that if they don't leave you alone, you'll have no choice but sell the house to scum (as they are the only ones interested)

I wouldn't bother making an idle threat that he can't or won't follow through on. Would it not make more sense to find out what the problem is if possible? Plus it sounds like no-one is interested.

Presuming your family home has nice neighbours, couldn't you (if really desperate) move your family into the rented house and face down the scummy neighbours yourself and let your family home out? I'm making huge assumptions about size and location here so maybe not an option.
We lived there for near 8 years then had a baby ,moved out for the sanity of the wife. Constant slamming doors ,dogs barking even had the car tyres stabbed .So going back is not going to be a option.

In what way are they being 'unneighbourly' ? Is it a matter for the guards ?
If i listed everything i'd be here all night but here are some examples made false allegations about parties the guards called to my tenants twice in one night and heard and saw no disturbence,neighbours were n't happy with this and i got a letter from the noise envirioment had to write a full report.Gaurds said they would back us up in court.Next i got a letter claiming a party went on from 2pm saturday till sunday afternoon when i contacted the gaurds about this they said they had no complaints of any party from anybody on the street.Now they are complaining to the council that he is leaving bread out for the birds drawing vermin!!!!They have also called social services out to him.I have told him to go to my solicitor to make a statement to get a court order on them.

Very neighbourly of them, I take back my original post.

The thing is where would i stand if i just said sod it and said i can't make the payments and chucked the keys back to the bank?

Keep a log of all incidents of alleged anti-social behaviour.
Talk to the Community Garda.

The thing is where would i stand if i just said sod it and said i can't make the payments and chucked the keys back to the bank?

You would be as well off to sell it at a knockdown price (but enough to pay off the existing mortgage) than do the above which will have big consequences on your credit rating.

Keep a log of all incidents of alleged anti-social behaviour.
Talk to the Community Garda.
This is being done ,i'v been to every authority going and thats all i get told to do when all that will come of it is a slap on the wrist for them and me heading for the poverty line.

If you lived there for eight years, you must have some equity built up in the house. It's a shame to have such awful neighbours and no body deserves to be harrassed in their own home.

Would the Council take the house for rental purposes or maybe they might buy it from you? I see they are now buying up lots of private properties to reduce their waiting list for social housing.

Have you approached the Council to see if they would be interested in the property?

Last edited:
If you are seriously considering this then post some specific details (e.g. indicative property value, outstanding mortgage, original purchase price etc.) so that people can comment.

You would be as well off to sell it at a knockdown price (but enough to pay off the existing mortgage) than do the above which will have big consequences on your credit rating.
I have it listed at around 30-40k under the market value as is,over a year and a half on the market.That's why i'm seriously considering this route .I'v no plans to leave my present home would i claw back my credit rating paying this mortgage,never late with bills and i clear the credit card every month? A bad credit rating for few years would be a relief to what we have to put up with now.

If you lived there for eight years, you must have some equity built up in the house. It's a shame to have such awful neighbours and no body deserves to be harrassed in their own home.

Would the Council take the house for rental purposes or maybe they might buy it from you? I see they are now buying up lots of private properties to reduce their waiting list for social housing.
Yes i'v tried the council but they say they are not intrested in houses more than 5years old ,that was last year.I could try again and see what they say.

If you are seriously considering this then post some specific details (e.g. indicative property value, outstanding mortgage, original purchase price etc.) so that people can comment.
We bought it for £68,000.Then bought a new house just as the market peaked for 315,000euro splitting the mortgage 210,000 on the new place and leaving 160,000 on the old with a interest only mortgage for 3 years.If i got 170 i would be over the moon just to clear the thing.

Back