Pharmacist only gives 28 days worth of tablets

K

Krew Bot

Every six months I go to my doctor to get a prescription renewed and she writes me a prescription for six months worth of tablets. When I go to the pharmacist to have the prescription made up I am only given 28 days worth of tablets, which does not equal to a months supply. The shortest month this year had 29 days.

After 12 visits to the pharmacy I will only have enough tablets to see me through 11 months of the year. Ultimately this means I will have to buy 13 'monthly' prescriptions each year.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

I think the OP is complaining because she is being charged the drug fee every month when she has to go to the pharmacy. Why can't he/she be given the whole six months drug supply at once and it would save a fortune in charges. I often thought about that myself.

Sometimes it depends on the tablets, eg some antidepressants or sedatives, maybe they have a policy about not giving out several months supply.
However if the tablets are neither of the above, I think you should ask for the six months supply where possible. The only thing is that some tablets are packaged as 28 packs which never made sense to me but if the doctor has written down clearly a months or six months supply , you should ask the pharmacist why you are being left short by the one, two or three days.
A lot of the time , it means breaking open a new pack for the pharmacist and maybe thats not feasible.

It's a really good question which does affect those who do not have a medical card . I used to get scripts filled for an elderly relative & noticed they only gave the 28 days but as they had a medical card & had to go for regular checkup, it didn't really matter. But anyone who is paying the doctor for visit and their monthly prescription fee will get caught out by the extra month. I've never had any script for more than about a month, so not really a problem, but I can definitely see where you are coming from.

The shortest month this year had 29 days.
Actually it's 28.2422 days....but who's counting:D

its to do with profits,90 euro every month to the pharmacist rather than 90 euro every six months.

Every six months I go to my doctor to get a prescription renewed and she writes me a prescription for six months worth of tablets. When I go to the pharmacist to have the prescription made up I am only given 28 days worth of tablets, which does not equal to a months supply. The shortest month this year had 29 days.

After 12 visits to the pharmacy I will only have enough tablets to see me through 11 months of the year. Ultimately this means I will have to buy 13 'monthly' prescriptions each year.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

ask the pharmacist!

There is a very logical reason for giving 28 tablets.
If a patient gets a prescription for 30 tablets on a thursday, they will run out on a Sunday, and have a problem getting a new supply.
With a 4 week prescription cycle, that will not happen.
It also reduces the amount of "extra XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" nursing and care homes have lying around, and the potential for error. It also lets them semiautomate reordering ( eg. ward 1 on the week 1, ward 2 week 2, on a tuesday.
Also, the NHS has pushed for a 28 day cycle, meaning that pill manufacturers are putting 28, not 30, tablets in a blister packet.
I cannot envisage the manufacturers supplying special packs for the small irish market.

I have a prescription for a chronic condition and fill it in one of 2 pharmacies, depending on which is more convenient. There are 28 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in the standard pack, but both pharmacies always add extra XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX cut from another blister pack.
They give out 1 month's worth unless I ask for the entire prescription to be filled and there is never a problem getting 6 months together. It's much more convenient than remembering to go to the pharmacy every couple of weeks.
I seem to remember that there is a dispensing fee to be paid each time you fill a prescription also, I think that's reduced by collecting all together, but I'm open to correction on that.

I found that a relative of mine was having her tablets rationed by her husband as she approached her three monthly visit to her doctor in order to make them last. He didn't want to disturb the doctor or himself by doing something about it. Unfortunately just before she died her three monthly visit coincided with Christmas and her visit was put back by an extra few days until after Christmas. She died on Christmas day. I often wonder to this day had the rationing of tablets something to do with her death.

How awfully sad, It is a fact that some people are struggling to pay the monthly charge on perscribed medications and the limit for the drug payment scheme is going up all the time.

Mel - Are you sure you can pick up 6 months supply at once?

i have done this and it was the pharmacist that made me aware that I could do it, but I presume it depends on the drug in question. Regarding the months supply I get 28 +cut offs from another pack to make up the difference.

This practice is a major problem for patients on long-term medication for ongoing conditions. For some patients, for example those with psychiatric conditions, can have serious (and sometimes horrific) consequences, as it serves a temptation for the patient to do without their medication for a few days.

i had the same problem and the tablets were 76 euro so i was only allowed buy one packet a month (drugs refund rules). Since i got the first packet at the start of the month they would move say i bought the second packet in the next month. No one ever thought to give me a few extra tablets to prevent it happening.

How awfully sad, It is a fact that some people are struggling to pay the monthly charge on perscribed medications and the limit for the drug payment scheme is going up all the time.

I'm positive because I do it when I remember to ask - but you have to ask when handing in the script.
My script wouldn't have a risk of overdose associated with it, someone mentioned that above, so there might be rules around some drugs.
My prescription is also relatively cheap and even 6 months supply barely takes me near one month's DPS limit so it doesn't affect that.

There is a very logical reason for giving 28 tablets.
If a patient gets a prescription for 30 tablets on a thursday, they will run out on a Sunday, and have a problem getting a new supply.

Sounds like you work in a related position, and that all makes sense but the above isn't foolproof as it doesn't take account of bank holidays?

As I understand the Drug Payment Scheme, on a repeat prescription, you can only get one fill of it per month as part of the €90. EG, I know in the past, if I wanted to buy a second month's worth of something, I had to pay for it and it was not included in the €90. Also, it was medication that was required for every single day and I was always given a full pack and then a couple of loose ones to make up the 30 days. Usually bought in Boots or McCabes. I have no affiliations with these businesses.

its to do with profits,90 euro every month to the pharmacist rather than 90 euro every six months.

Not so. The pharmacist is paid the full price for the drugs by the HSE under the Drugs Payment Scheme less whatever contribution the customer makes, regardless of whether this is one months worth or more.

Back