Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > General Financial Issues > Askaboutlaw

Old 17-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Marcus1

Default What stipulations can you put into Wills? Is this Viable?

I have a house & estate that I am making a will for. I want to be able to leave what I have to an Aunt &. She inherited another house before that they have spent time refurbishing. There was some dispute in the family over the inheritence of that house between her & her 2 twins who feel they should have gotten the house.
My Aunt said before that if she ever came into money she would let them have the house (or at least let them live in it which would mean they wouldn't be getting the Rent they would otherwise get).
I want her to get the full benefit of it, if she gets my house but loses her other house to the twins she won't be benefitting from it like she could be. Can you put a stipulation into a will where she would get my estate if she sold her other house so that it would stop her sisters from coming in to anything?
Old 17-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Re: What stipulations can you put into Wills? Is this Viable?

Marcus - a bit messy ??? How can your Aunt have two twins, either a twin or she is one of triplets. A will is a letter of wishes for the purpose of an executor carrying out the wishes after death. You must remember that (as you have already posted) that you are 23. What happens if you become married and have children ? If there is an argument in the family, what happens if your Aunt allows the others into the house, but then can't get them out without a very costly legal battle ??? This is something which requires careful thought and legal opinion.
Old 17-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Marcus1

What is the best way I can make sure that my Aunt benefits fully from my Will & not her Twin sisters?
Old 17-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Marcus1

Any solicitors here that I could PVT?
Old 17-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Frequent Poster

This should be easy enough. What is placed / written in ar will cannot be changed, but it does require careful consideration. Example if you leave an asset to an Aunt, there could be a huge hit for Tax.
Old 17-05-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
Any solicitors here that I could PVT?
PVT?!

Anybody drawing up a will really should get professional advice from a solicitor. The cost should be relatively small but it could be well worth it.

Old 23-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Marcus1

Can anyone advise me on This?
Old 23-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Frequent Poster

I am a solicitor but please do not pm me ( assume you mean this by PVT). Yes you can put this stipulation in your will is the simple answer. Now please go and see your solicitor who will, no doubt, tell you the same thing.
Old 23-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Frequent Poster

marcus - if you are looking for a quick fix for the purpose of drafting a Will via AAM, forget it. Any solicitor worth his salt will only entertain discussing the terms of a will in an office, not online through an Internet Forum. AAM is good but no that good