Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > General Financial Issues > Mortgages and buying and selling homes

Old 07-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Default Does a Westerly Garden Get any Sun?

I Know this may seem an odd question but I know a south facing garden is what everyone wants, but Im looking at a house which has a westerly facing garden, and was wondering how much sun will the garden get.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Frequent Poster

Default Re: Does a Westerly Garden Get any Sun?

I would imagine a west facing garden would get the sun from midday onwards
Old 07-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Frequent Poster

Yep, gets some sun in the evening
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Why not just pop down to see the property during the current sunny weather at different times of the day?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Frequent Poster

I have a southeast facing back garden. I would give my eye teeth for the same garden with a westerly ( preferably southwesterly) aspect so that I could enjoy the long summer evenings that I am hoping for this summer!

mf
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1 View Post
I have a southeast facing back garden. I would give my eye teeth for the same garden with a westerly ( preferably southwesterly) aspect so that I could enjoy the long summer evenings that I am hoping for this summer!

mf
you could get up early and enjoy the long summer mornings
Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Frequent Poster

When we were purchasing our house my girlfriend and I had a heated discussion about the aspect of the back garden. I had previously lived in an apartment for the past 10 years and was not too keen to fork out the additional 10K for a south west facing garden. Needless to say she won and as much as it pains me to admit it, she was right.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMan View Post
Why not just pop down to see the property during the current sunny weather at different times of the day?
I would only that its not that easy to get to. There was some sun when we were there on sat but I was interested to know how long it would last for. Thanks for your all your feedback
Old 07-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Frequent Poster

Just make sure that the back garden IS west facing and not just estate agent speak. I've been shown houses by the same estate agent on the opposite sides of the street and been told that both houses had south facing gardens

A west facing back garden will get the sun in the back garden later than any other aspect.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-crates View Post
you could get up early and enjoy the long summer mornings
Oh I do do that - but it's not the same knowing I'm under pressure to get to work!
Now, in the evenings...........

mf
Old 07-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Frequent Poster

West is best is a phrase of gardeners but that's more about frost damage that vino on the terrace. You garden will be lovely in the evening which is probably when you most want to use it I think it's a pretty good thing. If it's long enough the bottom will be east facing.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batty View Post
Just make sure that the back garden IS west facing and not just estate agent speak. I've been shown houses by the same estate agent on the opposite sides of the street and been told that both houses had south facing gardens

A west facing back garden will get the sun in the back garden later than any other aspect.
Ive been checked it out on the map and it is west alright. Although the same estate agent told me an empty room can look smaller then one with stuff in it, so I know not to trust them. Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower123 View Post
the same estate agent told me an empty room can look smaller then one with stuff in it, so I know not to trust them.
Nothing illogical about that - an empty small room could easily look smaller than a larger one with stuff in it. Depends on the relative sizes of the rooms and the size of the "stuff".

Old 07-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneygrower View Post
West is best is a phrase of gardeners but that's more about frost damage that vino on the terrace. You garden will be lovely in the evening which is probably when you most want to use it I think it's a pretty good thing. If it's long enough the bottom will be east facing.
I am geuinely not being smart but how could a west facing back garden have a "bottom that is east facing"?
Old 07-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Although the same estate agent told me an empty room can look smaller then one with stuff in it, so I know not to trust them. Thanks
Your estate agent would be right on that one, why not look at a new development builders finish and compare with show house and you'll see what he means.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I am geuinely not being smart but how could a west facing back garden have a "bottom that is east facing"?
I think Moneygrower is an estate agent.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
If you have a rectangular long(or short) back garden and the back of the house faces west, then your back wall as you look back up towards the house will face in the opposite direction i.e east.

mf
Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 PM

moved from Location, Location, Location
to Mortgages and Buying and Selling Homes.

LLL is for discussing what its like to live in particular locations/developments.

Please post in the correct section.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Frequent Poster

I would have never considered the angle at which the sun faces my garden as an issue when buying a house. That is, until now. My current house has a west facing gardenand it is blissful in summer evenings. Today, we had a BBQ at 5pm.

We hope to trade up whenever the market changes and it will be vital to have a south/west facing back garden.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 AM

Hillpost..surely if you are serious about trading up then now is the time to do it not when the market changes.