Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > General Financial Issues > Welfare and state benefits

Old 27-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Wonderwall

Default How long does it take to get a medical card

I have just applied for a medical card. Does anyone know how long it might take to come through? Also am I liable for medical expenses in the meantime? My daughter is going in for surgery in a few days and will be in hospital for about two weeks but I will not be able to afford to pay the hospital charges.
Old 27-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Re: How long does it take to get a medical card

It depends on the HSE involved (about 1 month in my area). In this instance it is worth telephoning them first thing Monday, and advising them of your situation.
Old 28-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Frequent Poster

Hi
You might also have a look at this:
Inpatient charges in public hospitals
In cases of excessive hardship, the Health Service Executive may provide the service free of charge. (citizens information)
You should also ask the H.S.E. re this when you phone explaining your situation.
I hope all goes well with your daughter's surgery

Nicola
Old 28-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Wonderwall

I just rang the health board and spoke to a very helpful guy who is going to fast track the application so we should have it tomorrow. I am very relieved. Renews my faith in the HSE.

Apparently they only process renewals once a month. First time applications are processed daily and should only take a few days if everything is included.

Thanks for your advice everyone.