Am I a First Time Buyer?

V

valley123

We are thinking of buying a 2nd home for about €285k, however, my fiancee already owns a house which we would be selling. Can I qualify as a First time buyer if i put only my name on the deeds? (the mortgage wil be in both names).. We are getting married in 6 months will this have any bearing on the issue... should we buy before then?

The banks won't lend as a joint application unless both applicants are on the house deeds. If you could qualify for a mortgage on your own, you might be in with a chance but could run into problems further down the line when adding your gf to the deeds

Hiya

No, unfortunately if he is paying for the mortgage with you then you will lose your FTB status whether he is on title, deeds or not.

If you buy on your own and without any financial assistance from anyone else, you are a ftb.

From your post, this is not the case, you are buying with someone who is not a ftb and therefore you will pay stamp duty. Unless you buy a new house - when no stamp duty is payable.

mf

You should speak to your solicitor about this matter. It is possible you could avail of FTB relief if you are deemed to be the sole owner of the property and he is not seen to be paying mortgage repayments / contributing towards purchase price. To do this I understand he will effectively have to renounce any ownership in the property and would essentially be paying you rent as opposed to mortgage repayments. You need to be very careful about this and to come up with an appropriate structure within the law. There may be scope to later transfer part ownership back to your husband after you are married (and avoid CGT as it would be exempt for inter spouse transfers). This can all be a bit tricky and if the SD is not massive you might be better off just paying it outright and to avoid any problems with the Revenue further down the line.

Back