Thai coin looks like a €2 coin.

alamanda

Not sure if this is the right thread.
Has anyone come across a foreign coin that looks and feels remarkably similar to a 2 euro coin? Was given one a few days ago and only noticed something odd when it was rejected by a parking meter. I meant to hang on to it to check what it was but inadvertently passed it on. It had an image of an onion-domed or turretted building on the 'tail' side, and a head on the other. Just curious if more of them have turned up.

Re: 'false' 2 euro coin

It ain't a fake. The cost of performing such a task would mitigate that. Its from another EU member state. There is probably a slight variation in the weight hence the reason for the rejection.

I posted about this here about 5 years ago it a Thai coin worth about 12cent.

See AAM thread from 2004: Thailand's 10 baht coins, worth 0.26€ looks like 2€ coin.

c10baht.jpg

i have had problems using such a coin in tesco's automated checkouts.

Never assumed it to be a fake.
Now that you mention it, I do remember reading something about Thai coins being passed off as Euros some time ago. Never came across one before though. Thanks for info.

There's a russian coin (well it has cyrillic writing on it) that is a dead ringer for a 2euro coin too.

Not sure if this is the right thread.
Has anyone come across a foreign coin that looks and feels remarkably similar to a 2 euro coin? Was given one a few days ago and only noticed something odd when it was rejected by a parking meter. I meant to hang on to it to check what it was but inadvertently passed it on. It had an image of an onion-domed or turretted building on the 'tail' side, and a head on the other. Just curious if more of them have turned up.

Yeah, I have a couple of these.

I consider it Karma for the jar of old 5p coins I dumped into the German sweet machines while on exchange in Secondary School :)

These coins are popular for using in cigarette vending machines. Lads I know brought back as many as they dared from a Thailand holiday for this purpose. They even sell them, 4 coins for a fiver.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a couple of these.

I consider it Karma for the jar of old 5p coins I dumped into the German sweet machines while on exchange in Secondary School :)

That's so funny, I remember everyone stacking up on 5p coins when we did a German Exchange back in the 80s...never knew how many smokes you'd get in one of those packs!!

Looks like bad karma all round. I used to be at the 5p-for-1mark business, too. Some really wonky machines even took old 2pence coins for 2mark ones, giving an even better exchange rate.

Back