Churchview road Killiney, dublin, Opinions?

FlamePlayer

Hi,
thinking of buying a house on churchview road in killiney.
What do you think of the area?

thanks

Last edited:
What kind of things are important to you? schools? commute? what kind of advice are you looking for?

hi yes commute to city, schools and if there are many gurriors hanging around the area.

thanks in advance

Do you commute by car or public transportation?

Can't help you with regards to schools butthere is alot of action at the Cabinteely football park on the weekend, loads of kids and parents.

Very nice area, especially if you have kids. Johnstown primary schools (boys & girls) are at the top end, beside the church. Downside is that its actually on, as opposed to close to, a few bus routes (7 & 45a come to mind) so it's a bit difficult in terms of privacy as passengers can see in upstairs as well as downstairs! And a bit worrisome if your kids are very young, they can't go out to play safely in the same way as in some of the Watson or Auburn roads close by which are much quieter.

Tesco in Ballybrack down the road in the opposite direction from the church, small shopping centre also has Xtravision, newsagent, chemist, off licence, greengrocers, hairdressers & Chinese takeaway.

Short walk to Killiney shopping centre which is dreadful for parking so it's good to be able to walk to it! I was in the Graduate pub a year or so ago and the food was pretty good. I've heard the food in the Rochestown Lodge Hotel (a bit further along Rochestown Ave.) is good too, but on a couple of visits to the bar I found the atmosphere there a bit soulless. If you're feeling energetic, Killiney Castle Hotel is walking distance (and downhill on the way back). Both hotels have gyms & swimming pools, membership required.

Probably about 20 minutes walk to the Cabinteely junction of the N11 where the 145 goes into town, under 5 mins by car to get there. If you're going to the M50 probably best to access it via Cherrywood, again about 5 mins (outside rush hours though!).

Secondary schools in reasonable supply, Cabinteely Community School (mixed) on Johnstown Road, Clonkeen College (boys) on Clonkeen Road (can be accessed by bike or on foot via Cabinteely Green & Monaloe), Cluny (fee-paying girls) off Avondale Road.

As addob says, Cabinteely football park is a popular spot, Seapoint rugby club is also there. If golf is your thing, Killiney Golf Club is only yards away from Churchview Road.

I'm pretty familiar with the area so if you've any other questions ask away.

Hi

I asked a garda I know about this, he used to be in dublin before he moved down home. He said overall he would live there.

I live nearby, but not in the direct area. It is near to some local authority housing which apparantly has some probs (as elsewhere)but not so much that it should stop you buying. Just life in general in Dublin really.

Be careful around Tesco's though. I have seen druggies shooting up in the carpark of Tesco's at night, it can be a bit rough. Know someone else who had a handbag snatched there too,but that was about a year ago. To be honest, I just go down the road to Cornelscourt Dunnes Stores most of the time and avoid Tesco's. In general Tesco's is ok. So dont be put off.

I have heard in passing that the Johnstown Road primary is an excellant school and very hard to get into, but that is from friends. I'm not sure of anymore details about it or whether it's mixed or single sex.

Not sure if that helps, lol...hope it does..

I'm sure the Garda will appreciate you posted that, could get into serious trouble over that, has been known.

I have heard in passing that the Johnstown Road primary is an excellant school and very hard to get into, but that is from friends. I'm not sure of anymore details about it or whether it's mixed or single sex
There is a girls' school in one building and a boys' school in a separate building on the same grounds - I have done some work for both schools. While there are no guarantees, i.e. if a class is full an extra space can't be made, but if a child is living in the immediate area they will pretty much get priority. The best thing would be to contact either principal as soon as possible. (PM me if you need details).

I'm sure the Garda will appreciate you posted that, could get into serious trouble over that, has been known.
Are you serious? As a matter of interest where has this occurred? And what actually happened? (Sorry, I know I'm a bit nosey!)

Hi there..he would not get in to trouble, all I asked was would he live there and he said yes. But in saying that I have taken your point scati and amended slightly.

Treetiger- not sure what you're asking. But the examples I gave were of my knowledge/experience of up around Tesco's. I only ever go there during the day now if I have to. It's also hell to park in..cars darting everywhere.

Sorry Pixied, I seem to have created some confusion! While quoting part of your post re Johnstown schools, I was addressing the OP in my reply.

When I quoted Scati I was asking him/her a question. I understood Scati to mean that you (Pixied) would get into trouble with the Guards for your suggestion (now amended), and I couldn't understand why this could be a problem as I thought it was a fair enough suggestion!

I meant the Garda could get into trouble, heard it resulted in serious complaints from estate agents, where people pulled out of buying property, and told the es the Garda told them not to do it because of whatever. Es got on to Garda bosses etc etc.
P.s why is every one( mostly newspapers) spelling it guards, its Gardai.

Ah, I get you now scati! Bit cheeky of the estate agents though I think, imagine if you were leaving one place because of local crime and you bought into another because the estate agents had a problem with local police advising you of crime rates in the area.

BTW, any of the Gardaí (don't forget the fada! ;) ) I know refer to themselves as guards. Not saying I know many, but I never thought it would offend anyone.

OP, I was on Churchview Road this morning and just something to be aware of is the area around the schools is MAD trafficwise around 9am, well I suppose any primary school is. But then there are lots of school holidays where it will be quiet.

Back