VRT Fraud or not

lemeister

A person I know is driving a top of the range SUV bought in UK for the past couple of years with UK registration plate have not paid VRT.
I believe the arrangement they have is that it was actually a UK based relative of theirs who purchased the motor and is also the main insured driver on the UK insurance policy, with the Irish based person I know being a named driver on the policy.
Is this arrangement legal or does this constitute VRT fraud? I presume the UK insurance is fine given that it is within the EU?

probably is but I personally wouldn't begrudge it..If you are jealous enough then by all means report him.

probably is but I personally wouldn't begrudge it..If you are jealous enough then by all means report him.

This is a bizarre post...what has 'jealousy' got to do with it if someone is possibly defrauding the Irish Exchequer (i.e. all of us)?

It sounds like the original poster is jealous that the person he knows is driving a top of the range SUV. What difference does it make if it's a banger or top of the range suv. Would he be thinking about reporting the fella if it was an old banger.

I wouldn't begrudge the guy with the UK plates on his car because I as a tax payer believe that VRT is an unfair if not illegal tax.

It sounds like the original poster is jealous that the person he knows is driving a top of the range SUV. What difference does it make if it's a banger or top of the range suv. Would he be thinking about reporting the fella if it was an old banger.

I wouldn't begrudge the guy with the UK plates on his car because I as a tax payer believe that VRT is an unfair if not illegal tax.

I also beleive it's an unfair tax...however that doesn't mean I agree with people unilaterally evading a tax that the rest of us have to pay. And the value of the car represents the scale of the evasion.

Not necessarily jealously at all - I didn't know the answer to the question, hence asking, and if it was legal then I would have sought a similar arrangement, but so far the opinion seems to be that it's not legal.

I didn't think this situation was that clear cut as the person driving the vehicle is not actually the owner. I wasn't (still not) sure whether there was time limit for how long someone could drive a vehicle here under these circumstances.

What difference does it make if it's a banger or top of the range suv.
About €30k worth of VRT - would be non sensical to go to such measures for a banger.
I certainly don't think of VRT as being a very fair tax either, but it's a tax applicable to all who chose purchase a motor. I don't get away without paying my fair share of taxes and it just seriously annoys me when I see people flaunting the law (to the tune of not far of the average industrial wage in this country).

Yes, it is fraud.

If the main driver specified on the policy is not in fact the main driver, then it is insurance fraud too.

-technically its not fraud as the person bringing it from the uk would presumably not have to pay vrt if they lived & worked in the uk prior to moving here.
They should however of registered it upon arriving so that they could pay road tax.

-technically its not fraud as the person bringing it from the uk would presumably not have to pay vrt if they lived & worked in the uk prior to moving here.
They should however of registered it upon arriving so that they could pay road tax.
that is why it looks like fraud, if the person who was living in the uk and moved to ireland (probably didnt in this case) registered the car in ireland there would be no vrt.

that is why it looks like fraud, if the person who was living in the uk and moved to ireland (probably didnt in this case) registered the car in ireland there would be no vrt.

yes - looks like fraud -

I'm sorry but if there are loopholes there to use - fair play to the person in using them.
I currently drive an English registered vehicle. I believe that as a member of Europe we should comply with european laws and directives (as is my constitutional right since the constitution was changed upon joining Europe) - as such the Irish Government is applying an unfair tax which does not uphold the fair movement of goods withen the E.U maxim. (as the vehicle was already taxed upon entering the EU)
I have wrote a letter to the E.U regarding this and they have replied that they have requested that the governement cease such practices.

Its only by peoples refusal to abide by this unfair tax system will the current unlawfull practice be highlighted.

We all know that as soon as they abolish VRT we will just be hit with a tyre tax or something.
In the end it will all be revenue neutral.

The person involved had been living here for several years before buying the motor and bringing it to Ireland.

yes - looks like fraud -
I'm sorry but if there are loopholes there to use - fair play to the person in using them.

I don't think there are loopholes.. just lack of enforcement for whatever reason and people taking a chance.

I have wrote a letter to the E.U regarding this and they have replied that they have requested that the governement cease such practices...
Its only by peoples refusal to abide by this unfair tax system will the current unlawfull practice be highlighted.

Is your real name Dempsey?

Until this tax is officialy abolished, poeple must pay it, end of story, as to whether they like it or not. Otherwise, it is the start of anarchy.

I believe that i am unfairly taxed at 41% as if i was living in an other european country i would may be only pay say 28%.. Does that give me any rights to refuse paying income tax in Ireland?

IMO, if one does not like the tax rules of Ireland, he/she can freely go and live & reside in another european country having tax rules that are more to his/her satisfaction. In the mean time, they are owed to pay their fair share of tax.

Report it. What gives that person the right to scam the rest of us?

p.s. UK insurance won't be valid here on a long term basis either.

I don't think there are loopholes.. just lack of enforcement for whatever reason and people taking a chance.

Is your real name Dempsey?

Until this tax is officialy abolished, poeple must pay it, end of story, as to whether they like it or not. Otherwise, it is the start of anarchy.

I believe that i am unfairly taxed at 41% as if i was living in an other european country i would may be only pay say 28%.. Does that give me any rights to refuse paying income tax in Ireland?

IMO, if one does not like the tax rules of Ireland, he/she can freely go and live & reside in another european country having tax rules that are more to his/her satisfaction. In the mean time, they are owed to pay their fair share of tax.

nope - def not Dempsey.
I think the above post is in a nutshell what is is wrong with this country.
By inforcing this tax the government is contravening your constitutional rights.
Now this may not be a bone of contention with BACCHUS but I do have a problem with it.
It is this type of attitude whch has fostered the attitude of our current leaders that they can act how they like without consequence. In any other country our current leader would have been forced to resign due to his current situation - but no not Ireland - he simply turns the other cheek and carrys on - - and the worst thing?? -we allow it.

It doesnt matter who owns the vehicle and where they live or who usually drives the vehicle. If a vehicle is permanently imported to Ireland, VRT is due regardless of whether or not the owner lives in UK or even uses the vehicle.

I presume the UK insurance is fine given that it is within the EU?

Depends on the terms of the insurance. Many insurance policies specify that the vehicle is primarily driven in the country of the insurer and should only be used for occasional driving abroad. As previous posters have said, if the main driver is not actually the main driver, then this may also invalidate.

CSirl

this is not correct - a person who has resided in the UK and brings thier personal car with them when moving to Ireland is exempt from VRT.
They have to show proof of previous UK residency and cannot dispose of the vehicle for a period of time (think its 6 months)

this is not correct - a person who has resided in the UK and brings thier personal car with them when moving to Ireland is exempt from VRT.
They have to show proof of previous UK residency and cannot dispose of the vehicle for a period of time (think its 6 months)

They still have to register with Revenue and get an Irish number plate, just that that they are exempt from the payment of the tax. You cannot just bring a UK car over and drive it without going thru Revenue who will determine whether or not and how much tax is due. Bit like that you are obliged to make a tax return if you are in business, even if no tax is due.

precisely

VRT is not due
This has no relevance to the case the OP mentioned, as the car in question is still driving on the UK plates.

As csirl stated...
They still have to register with Revenue and get an Irish number plate, just that that they are exempt from the payment of the tax
.... the exemption requires ownership in the UK for six months and ownership in Ireland for 12 months before the sale of the car, but even with the exemption the car must be registered here in Ireland.

Back