Heating using up too much oil?

toby2111

I live in a 3 bed detached bungalow,average size,over 40 years old but.I got 882 litres of oil(600 euros) 2 months ago....and it ran out last night!This seems crazy to me.rang a guy who knows about heating,he said it uses 2 litres of oil an hour.i have it on 7-8 hours a day,meaning I use 14-16 litres per day on average.So 882 divided by 16=55.125 days which does work out roughly 2 months.I'm amazed at that cos my folks only spent 300 on 2 months heating.Theres no gas in our area.Anyone got any tips/opinions/ideas about this?Cheers

that sounds klike a bit too much - i have a 25 year old detatched house (so 4 walls are exposed) - 4 bed - and i got 400 euro worth of oil in at the end of October and it ran out last week. - Id have it on 5- 7 in the morn and then from 5 - 10 in the evening with a few extra hours thrown in at the weekend - so approx 55 hrs a week

Am hoping to put in a layer of insulation in the attic over the next couple of weeks as the original is still in and have been told this will pay for itself fairly quickly and Ill not need the heating on as long in the evenings.

As an aside - a guy on the last word on tue was sayin a bungalow was harder to keep warm as the extra layer (i.e. cieling/floor) of a 2 storey doesnt come into play.

i have it on 7-8 hours a day
Wow! :eek: Maybe you need to check the house to see if you need to (a) better insulate it (b) fit or adjust room thermostats for the heating system to run it more efficiently and/or (c) get the burner and general system serviced to check that it's running efficiently? 7-8 hours possibly at full pelt sounds ridiculous. My mother lives in a standard construction c. 1950s house which has OFCH which she only needs to stick on for an hour or so every few hours. She got new double glazed windows installed recently and the different in terms of heat retention is immediately noticeable. She needs her attic reinsulated though and that will probably help a lot too.

I used to consume a higher than average amount of oil on our 3 bed semi until a good few yrs ago when I sorted out a lot of draughts, got the boiler set up properly by a "proper" service man and fitted a digital timer/thermostat. My heating is now on a lot less than before and the temp in the house is always at 20.5 deg during normal hours and 18.5 all the other times. And since then we have put on an extra 2 bedrooms.

I also got the radiators balanced which also made a huge difference and fitted some TRV's.

Cheers guys
briancbyrne-I have my heating on for exactly the same as you(5-7 morn and 5-10 evening) and also live in bungalow.Think I gotta insulate the whole house,balance the rads and get a proper service.If that fails,i'll just buy an extra duvet and a few fleeces..like frash said!Bring on the summer quick!!

You could always buy on of these:

selk_bag_01.jpg

we live in an old house as well and we got TRV's installed on the radiators recently. We don't have a main thermostat which controls the temp in the house. It early days yet but from the research I've done it should cut down on oil usage by roughly 15%. Of course there's the cost of the TRV's and having them installed but I'm expecting it'll pay off over time. Should pay off even faster if you can install them yourself.

Toby
just got the oil tank filled here in Kildare-1000-litres-670euro!Now, the last 1000litre fill was on October 25th!!!! We time the heat to come on for about 2 hours in the morning and for about 3 hours in the evening and in really cold conditions maybe for an hour or so during the night-on the odd night. Last Summer we places maximum insulation into the attic space, we replaced the wooden single glaze with double glazed upvc. Our achilles heal at the moment is that most of the rads ar seized open-we cant shut them off and there are no thermostats on them. We are reluctant to put thermosats on them because some of them appear to be rusting and we may have to change them soon. Somebody here mentioned turning the thermostat on the boiler down-what could we turn tis down to-at the moment it appears to be at 90!! Seems a bit high to me.
We are learners at this lark-just moved in here in May to a 4bed detached from a cosy electric heated apartment!

Not really in a position to say Bro because we bought the house in March and made these changes before moving in. Want to look into what kind of insulation there is in the wall because I am in doubt that it is up to scratch-might look into getting the walls pumped with insulation.

Sounds high to me.

My first winter in my current house (1700 sq foot bungalow 10 years old) I had to fill the 1000 litre tank twice during the winter and finally in march 2007.

I installed as digital timer / thermostat in the hall (as suggested by a previous poster) and I filled up with oil again 2 weeks ago, so from march 2007 to January 2008 on 1000 litres of oil.

The house is occupied proetty much 24/7 and we have the heating set to 19 Deg C in the morning and evening, but whenever it feals cold we would set the stat to give heat (for example it was set to 19 all day today)

Sounds high to me.

My first winter in my current house (1700 sq foot bungalow 10 years old) I had to fill the 1000 litre tank twice during the winter and finally in march 2007.

I installed as digital timer / thermostat in the hall (as suggested by a previous poster) and I filled up with oil again 2 weeks ago, so from march 2007 to January 2008 on 1000 litres of oil.

The house is occupied proetty much 24/7 and we have the heating set to 19 Deg C in the morning and evening, but whenever it feals cold we would set the stat to give heat (for example it was set to 19 all day today)
sounds like the digital stat made a huge difference then???

I have to say it cut down at least 50% consumption for me in 14 months

Back