X-Foil insulation from Euroform

R

rahman

Anybody any experience with this product for insulation of a roof. Its suppose to be an insulant (equivalent to 200mm of mineral wool) and a vapour check all in one product. I am very impressed with what you can do with this product and I just wondering if anybody has used it recently

None of these foil insulations have any kind of accrediation (IAB, BBA etc...) The BM Trada cert some of them have, holds no weight for the irish situation.
Therefore any 'claim' of equivalent to other insulations is to be taken with a pinch of salt.
They cannot get IAB certs because the work on 'reflective' technology whereas PUR, quilted etc work on the theory of trapped air as insulation, and can be quantified.
I would have no problem recommending them as vapour checks, but in no circumstances should they be used as an alternative to physical insulations.

Have a look at this link. This put me off buying it when I was looking into using it. The tests show that it does not do what it claims... As I understand it, its cert was withdrawn in the uk.

www.recticelinsulation.com/NR/rdonlyres/7B253FEB-7DFA-4544-B425-52B4C4EC0552/5705/BREMultiFoilReport.pdf

Thanks for the info
I was quoted €270 for a 10M roll of this stuff from Heitons today. Think I'll do some more research before I decide which product to use.
Another product I was looking is a wood fibre product called Holflex any experience with this product would be appreciated

BAB have recently approved a multi-foil product
See link
[broken link removed]

if you look through that BBA cert you will see, at the construction detail diagrams, that the insulation need sto be used in conjunction with additional insulations.

The conclusions are interesting:
The U value of the roof structure with
Thinsulex installed above rafters was 0.53 Wm–1K–1 and 0.29 Wm–2K–1 where Thinsulex was installed under and
above the rafters

So this product, even when used above AND below rafters wouldnt meet regulations. Basically these products are vapour barriers with good insulation properties, they are not to be used as an alternative to insulations.

so the question i have is: is reflective foil insulation viable on a cost to performance basis, the opinion seems to be that it isnt... i will be making a decision in the next couple a weeks.

The problem endag, is the ability to measure performance.

Typically, the insulation properties of a material is a measure of how quickly the material allows heat to transfer through it (thermal transmittance). Foil insulation doesnt work on this principle, its main insulation property is its reflectiveness ([SIZE=-1]emmisitivity [/SIZE]). Im not an expert, but i think this is very hard to (a) measure and (b) compare with other materials.
So a comparision of a 'cost to performace' base with other materials is ambiguous....

"When the foil face of the membrane faces into a vented cavity, the product enhances the thermal resistance of the airspace, which can be incorporated into calculations carried out in accordance with BS EN ISO 6946 Building components and building elements.... The membrane reduces the U-value (thermal transmittance) of the wall construction by inhibiting radiant heat transfer across the cavity and reduces solar heat gain by reflection. Thats according to the BRE certificate. so its all about radiant heat... sometimes the more you find out the more confused u get!!
recon ill wait till i get a price for the whole house to decide whether to go with it or not. would love to hear from anyone else who goes for it and why?

That was for a 10 M roll. I nearly choked when the guy in Heitons gave me the price. Out of curiosity I looked up the price from a few UK online insulation companies and they're about €175 per roll so theres a big price difference. Depending on which insulation I go for I may decide to purchase it in the UK or the north as it would appear insulation is cheaper there.
Given the previous information that on this tread I'm going to abandon the idea of foil insulation for the house. It seems this is an emerging technology and it will be a few years before it will be a proven product. I am now considering using Holzflex which is a wood fibre product which has certification and is widely used in Germany and Scandanavia. I plan to use it with mineral wool in the roof with a breathable membrane on the cold side and a vapour check on the warm side.
does anybody know to calculate the area of a pitch roof. I want to estimate the area and then determine the cost per sq ft or M

thats a crazy price!
i am looking at this product for cavity fill on a timber frame: econstruction, soya based foam. its expensive but it fills the cavity fully, has good u value and is very airtight. perhaps worth a look: www.econstructionproducts.ie saw them at the millstreet show.

endag
i would be very reluctant to incorporate any material that has not been properly tested for suitability in the irish situation.
If you do incorporate a material that does not have proper certification, you are actually not complying with building regulations TGD Part D "materials and workmanship".... the person who is certifying the build may have an issue with this.......

thanks for the heads up, i am also looking at icynene foam, but wil check out its certification before purchasing,

Back