Distance from Stove to Cylinder; Too Far to avoid excessive heat loss?

apple1

Folks,
I plan on installing a stove for space heating in room in which it is placed & possibly to contribute to DHW. I spoke to a stove supplier at the weekend however who suggested that the distance between the proposed stove location and cylinder is too great (approx. 50ft) to adequately provide hot water. He suggested that too much heat may be lost due to the length of the pipe-run. I'd appreciate any other opinions from posters regarding this issue? If the general concensus is that 50ft is too long, then I'll install a stove for space heating only.
Thanks in advance, apple1

You would need to do it in copper 1". The cost of the pipe will be substantial. If you put some "solar" quaility insulation on the pipe it should be ok. A lot of boiler to cylinder runs would be around the 30ft mark.

Also remember that stove heated hot water cylinder will need the necessary controls on the outlet side ie mixing or thermostatic valves.

Thanks davidoco. When you say substantial, have you any idea at what I'd be looking at in terms of cost? Also, wrt what's required on the cylinder at the output side, could you elaborate please? I know I'll need a dual coil cylinder, one for heating by stove, one for heating by orthodox source (boiler) but what purpose does the mixing/thermostatic valve serve? Thanks again, apple1

Copper 1" costs vary wildly depending on where you buy it and who buys it but between €35 and €60 for a 5.5m length. This is the reason you see a lot of plastic pipe being used. You really cannot use plastic on a solid fuel source.

€80 for the pump. New dual coil cylinder anything up to €1300 for stainless steel and €500 for copper.

A stove will heat hot water in your cylinder uncontrolled, or at least uncontrolled if you let it (you can have a heat leak like a radiator when the water in the cylinder gets too hot) and therefore the temperature of the water in the cylinder can get up to boiling point. You need to fit a mixing valve or thermostatic valve on the hot water outlet from the cylinder so nobody can get burnt at the taps.

its a very long run for gravity circulation which it would be for solid fuel appliance. And heating water would reduce output to room .
There is no such thing as free heat

Thanks plumber......too long in your opinion for it to be in any way effective? I don't want to end up with neither a contribution to hot water nor room heat!
Thanks, apple1

Sorry I meant to long a horizontal run to accomodate anything approaching the 1 in 10 gradient for gravity flow circulation.

You will be amazed at the effectivenes of even the smallest good quality log burning stove. if used for space heating only.

Thanks Plumber. Space heating it is! Saves me on copper and unrealistic expectations of the stove in terms of a contribution to DHW.

Back