Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > Consumer Issues and Rights

Old 23-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Price Difference Opticians North V South

I needed to get new glasses and decided to keep the frames but just get the lenses changed. I originally bought them in an Irish opticians so went back for a quote. They quoted me 650, shocking price but they are top of the range lenses made by Ellisor. I decided to ring an opticians in Newry and got quoted 300. I went up and got them. They provided a certicate to say they were genuine Ellissor lenses and have given me the exact brand so the difference in price has nothing to do with the lenses.

I want to support Irish business, There was a huge sign in the store asking people to buy Irish but how can they expect people to buy at those prices!

I got these before the vat hike here but even taking into account that and higher labour costs we are still talking a substancial saving
Old 23-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Frequent Poster

Price differences of this scale can sometimes arise amongst opticians in the same town, not just cross-border.
Old 15-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T McGibney View Post
Price differences of this scale can sometimes arise amongst opticians in the same town, not just cross-border.
+1. I've noticed this as well.