Calculating rental yield

Aesop

It's one of those terms everyone uses but I can't find a proper defintion.

None of these links provide an answer. (the first one contains links that don't work)

Some suggest yield is annual rent/current value

Some say you include SD

Some say it's your yield as your outlay versus your incomings (if this is the case then do you only include the interest only portion of the mortgage repayment or all of it)

Some say you take tax relief into account some say you don't

Some say the devil is dead, me I'm just confused ;)

It can be calculated whichever you want...it depends on which one you want to calculate.

So if someone mentions an "annual rental yield" that is too vauge a term to know how that figure was arrived at?

So if someone mentions an "annual rental yield" that is too vauge a term to know how that figure was arrived at?

Exactly. You really need to know what are the all the outgoings and the audited income and then you can draw your own conclusions. If the income isn't audited then it's just pie in the sky.

Yes, it would depend on what they factored in and out, it's all esttimates anyway.

Would return on invested capital not be a better way of looking at a rental property? Something like annual rent minus annual costs( interest, insurance, maintenance costs etc) divided by invested capital( whatever you put down when you bought the property including SD, fees etc) divided by 100.
This would show your return or potential return on any property which is surely the way a business would look at any potential investment oppertunities.

If it's annual rental divided by market value, is that the current market value or the price you originally paid for the property?

Thanks for the clarification. Let's not start a debate on what's the best way of calculating something that is not defined. As bez said you can calculate any way you want to.

Howitzer, worms collected and shoved firmly back in the can!

AFAIK initial rental yield is calculated in a standard way as annual rental income as a percentage of the selling price. Occasionally, but less common in my experience, initial rental yield is calculated by expressing the annual rental income as a percentage of the selling price inclusive of acquisition costs, which would obviously lower initial yield.

I`m not sure how many variations you can have but the most valuable way to see how your own finances are as I see it is to use the total amount you paid for the property (SD etc) and divide your yearly rental income (less your costs insurance etc). If you dont remove your costs you could get a healthy figure but whats the point if your insurance and other costs eats away all your profit?

If you had a bond and it made 10% in a year you wouldnt say 10% yield you`d say 10%-DIRT wouldnt you?

if you pay €300,000 for a house and it generates an annual rental of €12,000 then the 12k is 4% of the 300k, thats a 4 % rental yield, I would say to you the rental yield is worked out on the purchase price as if you based it on market value rental yield would only be a notional figure with no real meaning. For example if you bought a property twenty years ago and worked the rental yield out on todays market value the figure to you is useless. In that case you might work it out on whatever mortgage is left on the property, as thats in effect is the price you have to pay to own the property outright today today. When talking to an investor you work out what their rental yield is from what they have to pay from the house.

if you pay €300,000 for a house and it generates an annual rental of €12,000 then the 12k is 4% of the 300k, thats a 4 % rental yield, I would say to you the rental yield is worked out on the purchase price as if you based it on market value rental yield would only be a notional figure with no real meaning. For example if you bought a property twenty years ago and worked the rental yield out on todays market value the figure to you is useless. In that case you might work it out on whatever mortgage is left on the property, as thats in effect is the price you have to pay to own the property outright today today. When talking to an investor you work out what their rental yield is from what they have to pay from the house.

I agree, I think you need to use the current market value of the property.

if you pay €300,000 for a house

The 300K should include all costs incl SD solicitors fees auctioneers fees etc.

It is the return on your total investment

Back