What does this paragraph written in legal jargon mean?

lorr01

hi

im just curious could anybody help me out as am trying to find out for a mate what this means. thanks!!

"I enclose a copy of the Apperance which has now been served on Solicitor's name??. We can now press for discovery and defence.
The apperance is now lodged and the said defendants intend to defend this proceeding."

Im curious as to what all this means in English as opposed to legal terms.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: legal question

Someone (Plaintiff) has issued proceedings against somebody else( Defendant). That somebody else acknowledges that proceedings have been served on them by filing an Appearance in the relevant Court office . The case is ready to be pushed on by formally looking for the Defendants Defence and more information about their Defence.

mf

Re: legal question

Someone (Plaintiff) has issued proceedings against somebody else( Defendant). That somebody else acknowledges that proceedings have been served on them by filing an Appearance in the relevant Court office .
The case is ready to be pushed on by formally looking for the Defendants Defence and more information about their Defence.

mf

hi ya, thanks for getting back to me.
"the apperance mentioned above was this day lodged by hand (or sent by post) and the said defendants intend to defend this procedding?". Could you please explain this to me if you wouldnt mind please and thanks.

I think it means as follows:

There is a court case with one person against the other - plaintiff taking a court case against a defendant, the defendants are going to go to court when the case come up in the future (appearance document). Lodged just means as it says delivered in person or posted. The defendants are going to defend the case - this means that the defendants believe the plaintiff is wrong and they have reasons for this - called their defense. Sometime now they will get around to writing this defense.

As you have these legal documents you must also have a solicitor working for you, why don't you ask him/her to explain it to you and then you'll be sure to understand it correctly.

Also as you seem to want to know how legal proceedings work why don't you go down to your local court house for a week to see what goes on and you'll begin to get the gist of it.

Why on earth would anyone want to disclose their defence to the opposition before going to court?

That's how the system works. It's obviously not a criminal case, it's either a civil case or a family law case.

Why on earth would anyone want to disclose their defence to the opposition before going to court?
its the law im told that they will now show me there defence. As i have gone thriough the proper channell's

Back