self builders beware of over pricing

priscilla

Hi, not sure if I should post this in the let off steam section but thought it was relevant to anyone building at the moment.

Mr P gave our house plans to two local quarries to price for all our stone.

We are subcontracting our build and the builder putting in our foundations ordered materials from one of these quarries. Whenever we needed more supplies we just continued using the original quarry for convenience.

Our builder required 'quinn lite blocks' and the original quarry were unable to supply them so my husband contacted the other quarry who would deliver them if we made payment pre leaving the quarry. Thought it was a bit odd as most builders providers seem to supply before payment but duly paid the required 1,100 euro for the 648 blocks or pallet.

About two weeks later, we received a bill for the blocks for the sum of 735 euro. My husband contacted the quarry who realised they shouldn't have sent a bill as it was already paid but we questioned why we paid a higher amount. They checked it out and came back to us saying th ebill of 735 euro was wrong and we should have been billed 1100.

Being curious, we priced them for the same amount of blocks with 3 different names and guess what, each time we were quoted the lower number.

My brother happens to know one of the quarrie's employees so asked him to check it out for us and he told him to-day that normally the blocks are one euro a block plus vat but because we hadn't bought any of our other supplies from them they would charge us one euro fifty a block plus vat.

I'm really annoyed, surely this can't be legal, can it?.

ps. anyone getting these blocks should go directly to Quinn lite' , just priced them to-day, cheaper than the quarrys 'cheap' price.

im not sure what your problem is, you were quoted a price and paid the price. All builders suppliers will provide builders discount to all builders ( and some self builders if you give them enough business) Its not their fault if perhaps you were a little naive, you have since made 3 different calls looking for quotes, you could have done this before you paid (especially if you thought it was odd). I would treat this as a life lesson and learn for the future

The quarry are within their rights but I can see why you're miffed. We returned gravel to CRH a few months ago and it took several calls to get re-imbursed....had we not called....

Back