Selling My Home

montagne

Hello again

I am going to put my property on the market in the next week. Im spending this weekend painting, fixing leaking taps, etc.

Can anyone tell me what to expect from the estate agent? Has anyone ever sold their own home? I was thinking about putting it on daft.ie and selling it myself to save some money but is it really as simpe as that?

M

I am selling my own house at the moment. I purchased two boards from the signmakers for 50E, put it on daft and advertised in the local papers. So far the outlay has only been approx. 500E. Things are very slow at the moment, regardless of whether you are selling provately or with an EA, but I'm hoping they will pick up in a few weeks. If you're not under too much time pressure, selling yourself will save you a lot of money. A friend rang me yesterday to say that the EA he was in contact with about selling his own house, wanted to charge 2% + 750E advertising + VAT. So it seems EA prices are on the up.
I have had as many viewings selling privately as my boyfriend, who has gone with an EA.
Best of luck anyway, whatever you decide.

I sold my house on daft 2 weeks before Christmas - didn't bother with a "for sale" board as the house was in a cul de sac. The first people to view it bought it! Remax advised marketing it for €365,000 with a expected price of €390,000 - I thought this was OTT and sold for €380,000. Cost? €95!

Sarah

www.mortgagesoverseas.com

Thanks for the advice. Wow, i didnt realise that agents charged so much! Daft it is.

I have just sold my house privately. I put it on Daft and got a ‘For Sale’ sign made for the front of the house. Total cost €200. I didn’t bother with the papers. I got 11 viewings in total and got 7k above what I was asking for. It’s NOT a simple as that though. There is the added stress selling it yourself especially with the no shows. You need to be sure your buyer has sold his property (or is a ftb) and isn’t in a chain otherwise it will be a lot of hassle and possibly lead to your sale falling through. I would also make sure they are mortgage approved and ask for prove of this. Having said all that it was the handiest 4k I’ve ever saved!! By the way, I got 3 estate agents in to value my property before I put it on the market.

Thanks for that TillyD. The property im selling is really a first time buyers' apartment, besides, i am part of a chain so i cant be very discrimimating.

I also sold my house privately. I put it on Daft.ie and Add.ie and got a ‘For Sale’ sign made for the front of the house too. Too costly to put on the papers and most people look online now.

I got 15 viewings in total and got what I was asking for. Ask the potential viewers if they are mortgage approved/first time buyers and when they hope to purchase to gage their interest and to see if they are wasting your time.

Have patience with no showings and it will all work out.

Best of luck Montagne

I am currently trying to sell 3 bed apartment in Donabate myself. Have placed advert on daft and put sign outside but there has not been great response. It has been 3 weeks now. Am I being impatient or can this take a while (am thinking of selling via EA now).

We have our house on the market for over a month now with a EA. Not even one viewing, there was only one enquiry to their office and that came from a (nosey) neighbour..... hopefully things will pick up shortly....

I wouldm't worry bout things being slow lately cause traditionally the summer months are the worst time to put your property on the market.
If you feel that EA's really won't be better able to maximise your selling price, then there should be no problems. they do it for a living and more reputable, longer established firms more than likely will keep a database of potential buyers interested in areas, price range etc, from which they actively pursue buyers.
As for people comparing 2% commission + ads +vat, that doesn't work across the board, everything is negotiable. You should be able to get commission at 1% + vat agree what advertising you want, you don't need to do any as other posters have shown and the EA's should have it on daft and orMyhome inclusive in the fees plus their on website. Shopping around can get you as low as .75% + vat no outlay on web advertising, optional extra of papers advertising and EA's don't seem like such a bad idea after all.

the market is slow....

I decided to use an EA and am glad i did. my property has been on the market for about 2months, i had 6 viewings in the first 2 weeks and i have had a steady stream since then with at least 2 a week.

the issue is that the viewings can be at any time of day. so it's handy for me to drop the keys to the EA when there'sd a viewing and head off to work. Don't think my job would be too understanding of taking time off regularly to show my house.

i know i could pick certain days and times of the week to show, but this could possibly deterr some buyers if they can't get to view when is convienient to them. seems to be going ok.

the agent send me the daft report avery few weeks to show how many hits my property has had in the last 7 and last 30 days, and how many requested further info etc. quite interesting really!

the agent send me the daft report avery few weeks to show how many hits my property has had in the last 7 and last 30 days, and how many requested further info etc. quite interesting really!

I presume a private sellor also has ready access to this information?

We have our house on the market for over a month now with a EA. Not even one viewing, there was only one enquiry to their office and that came from a (nosey) neighbour..... hopefully things will pick up shortly....
Maybe the asking price is too high?

I'm not sure...
I'm think the probably can as a private seller has to pay to advertise on daft, whereas an agent doesn't...

I'd want to be getting a report if i was paying hard cash for it

Quite possibly, if nothing happens soon, will get another e.a. out to value/market it...

look at the price of similar properties in your area, particulalry those that have sold....

This ios a bad time of the year to be selling, with the whole economy thing and of course it's holiday time so expect it to get a bit busier in sept when people come back from hols...

look at the price of similar properties in your area, particulalry those that have sold....

This ios a bad time of the year to be selling, with the whole economy thing and of course it's holiday time so expect it to get a bit busier in sept when people come back from hols...

So when is the selling season starting?

Typically Spring and Autumn.

People on hols for (June, July & August) the summer and Christmas/bad weather/short days for Dec & Jan generally make for slow sales months.

Back